Detroit Babies
Options

oakland/macomb obgyn midwives

Hi, just wondering if anyone could share their experience with the midwives in paticular during labor/delivery at oakland/macomb obgyn? the birth only out of troy beaumont.  i am very happy with everything so far, but would love to hear your experience. thanks!

Re: oakland/macomb obgyn midwives

• Options
    I currently use the midwives at Oakland Macomb OBGYN as well. I gave birth to my son in June and was SO thankful to have Kathy Figurski by my side the whole time. I was textbook healthy my whole pregnancy and wanted to have a natural birth. Kathy was amazing during my whole labor. When I had to have an urgent C-section 14 hours into labor, she was still in the room (even though her job was done at that point, not being able to perform the c-section) the whole time and gave me minute by minute updates during the whole procedure. I can't wait to use the whole team again the next time I have a kiddo and try another natural birth!!! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I saw the midwives with my first pregnancy and loved every minute of it. My delivery, however did not go well. I had a new midwife who I didn't know well and really did not feel like I was emotionally cared for through that process. I swore I was going to switch practices. Well the midwife who delivered my son is no longer with the practice and now that I am pregnant again I couldn't imagine going anywhere else. I sat down with Louanne and had an honest talk about my previous experience and she made me feel much better. I can't imagine going through a pregnancy without their care and support.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM or just ask. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Kbaby- so the midwife you were speaking of during your last pregnancy is no longer with the practice?

When you go in labor, so unless you medically speaking you need a dr. the midwife on call will be there to deliver your baby, correct?  Will she most likely arrive when you are admitted, or there to just "catch" the baby? I probably have a million other questions, that I may bring up with them once I am further along, but I may forget:) any advice or opinions are needed and welcome:)

Thanks!!

• Options

I PMd you! smakovack!!

• Options
    imageapt0425:

Kbaby- so the midwife you were speaking of during your last pregnancy is no longer with the practice?

When you go in labor, so unless you medically speaking you need a dr. the midwife on call will be there to deliver your baby, correct?  Will she most likely arrive when you are admitted, or there to just "catch" the baby? I probably have a million other questions, that I may bring up with them once I am further along, but I may forget:) any advice or opinions are needed and welcome:)

Thanks!!

Yes, the midwife who was on call when call when I delivered is no longer there. I wouldn't have gone back if she was still there. 

And you are correct, unless medically necessary the midwife will deliver your baby. They come to check on you when you are admitted and are in and out through the whole process. They don't sit there the entire time with you and hold your hand, but they are there for when you need them. That's not to say they won't hold you hand if that is what you need or are having a really stressful experience, but if everything is going fine they are in and out throughout your labor. No matter what they are at least at the hospital the entire time, so if you need them for any reason they will be right there.

ETA: With my first, it was actually one of the doctors from the practice that ended up doing the actual delivery. I needed a little help via vacuum so he was called in. I had never met him and things were totally fine. The bedside manner of the doctors is great if they do need to be called in for whatever reason. Even with the doctor basically taking over my delivery the midwife stayed with me through the whole process.

• Options
    so will they help/tip or coach you if need be? i am open to an epi, but want to hold off as long as possible. we may not take any classes, but was hoping they would be supportive and instructional for me and my husband??
  • Options

imageapt0425:
    so will they help/tip or coach you if need be? i am open to an epi, but want to hold off as long as possible. we may not take any classes, but was hoping they would be supportive and instructional for me and my husband??

That is what any midwife/nurse is there for. The nurses in the hospital are super helpful as well. But honestly, you get out what you put in. You can't go in there totally unprepared and expect them to do it all for you. It's fine if you don't want to take a class (we didn't in the end) but read, read, read. Have your partner read to so that you have some knowledge/skills to get through the contractions. Also, when you go into labor, there's some time when you are laboring at home when the midwives obviously won't be present to help you out. They always recommend to try to labor as long as possible at home, so it is important to be somewhat prepared for that period of time as well. The midwives aren't going to be there in the room with you the entire time and there's only a certain amount of that anyone else can do for you. A lot of it comes from within. If you are feeling like you might need someone in there with you the entire time, maybe consider hiring a doula.

With DS when I had the epi discussion with the Louanne with my last pregnancy I voiced that I really wanted to go without. She said "that is totally fine, I will support you in that. However you need to promise me that if I tell you that you have had enough that should get the epi that you won't fight me on it." I liked that. I trusted her enough to abide by my wishes and to know my limits. I knew she had my best interests at heart. Unfortunately, as I stated before, she wasn't the one on call when I delivered. But that is a non-issue at this point.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"