D.C. Area Babies
Options

Potty training regression - possible UTI?

We started potty training DD in July and she has done great with it. She's basically been in underwear since late July. She maybe has about 2-4 accidents a month.

However, in the past 10 days or so, she sometimes resists going potty (which she didn't do before). She screams and arches her back. I asked her if it hurts and she says no. But then she's had a few accidents shortly after I ask her to go potty. I think before I left for my recent trip, she had 1-2 accidents in the evenings while I was home. Then I went out of town for 5 days. While I was gone, she had two accidents in the evenings. DH said the DCP didn't report any accidents during the day (but that doesn't mean she didn't have any). The night I got back from my trip, she had two accidents right in a row (and I tried to make her go potty after the first accident but she resisted). However, at other times, she goes potty just fine and there's no issue. Just now, I put her on the potty and she peed just fine with no resistance.

It just seems so odd. Do you think it could be a UTI and that I should take her to the doctor? Or, do you think she may have been stressed that I was out of town (which wouldn't explain the accidents before I left for my trip)? I'm just wondering if I should take her to the doctor or just see how things go over the next week.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Potty training regression - possible UTI?

• Options
    That happened with my son.  He started fighting  us over going to the potty and having tons of accidents.  Then he said it hurt when he peed.  We took him in.  10 days on an antibiotic and he was fine.  good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It might be a uti.

DD is prone to them and was on antibiotics the entire time she was in diapers. After she was potty trained, we took her off the meds and she recently got her first infection. It started with her having accidents after not having any for months. Any time she would go on the potty, I would ask her if it hurt and she always said no. This went on for about 10 days. Then on a Sunday night, she suddenly had a fever of 101. An hour later, it spiked to 103 and she had chills. We wentt to the pediatric ER and sure enough, it was a uti. Like I said, my DD is prone to them and so your DD having accidents could be nothing. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My 1st thought is that she's acting out for attention since you were gone. It's common for PTed kids to regress. She might also see how much attention DD2 is getting (lots of diapers changes) and wants the same.

• Options
    Thanks ladies. I talked to the DCP this morning and DD didn't have any accidents last week at DC. So, I'm thinking that it's probably not a UTI. However, I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it keeps happening or stops.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD1 didn't have accidents, but she went through a period where she would pee a little in her pants after she went potty.  She claimed it didn't hurt, etc. but it went on for a couple weeks so we took her to the ped thinking it was a UTI.  Turns out that she was constipated (even though she pooped every day, go figure).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"