North Carolina Babies
Options

S/O Potty Training...

With boys...when's the best time to start. We're about to hit 2 years next week and he's not really shown much interest in the potty. He'll talk about it some and he likes to see himself pee when he's in the bathtub. He'll most of the time tell us when he poops, so he's aware of what's going on, but I know he's not really ready yet. Any suggestions on when to start would be great! I'm not in a rush by any means, so if there are certain cues I should wait for I'm fine with waiting awhile. I'd rather clean up diapers than accidents. Thoughts? (I'm a bit terrified!!!!!)

Re: S/O Potty Training...

• Options
    Caleb will be 3 at the end of February, and we just started. He communicates much better than he did a year ago, and it also very independent. I think those help, although still VERY frustrating. I really felt pressured to train him earlier, but I realized a lot of his friends are girls. Most of his friends that are boys trained around 3, or a few months before. 
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • Options
    my mo trained 3 of us and says 2.5 or a little before. Just staying home a few days, running around naked or in undies and teaching him to pee outside.  No diapers or pull up in the day once we start, diapers At night until he gets it. That's our plan. Ours is 20mos. Tells me when he poops, talks ab potty but hasn't used it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We were fully trained in August when Ben was 2 yrs and 3 months.  I am making a special effort to post at night because you said something that was similar to our situation so I wanted to let you know how things went for us.  

I thought we would do the 3 day training in April, a month before he was 2.  He had shown some interest, had even gone on the potty a few times.  That was a joke though.  Lots of accidents and I threw in the towel on the second day when I had to clean a poop trail all through the bedroom carpet, gross.  I just dropped it, I was really in no hurry, diapers seemed much easier to me.  No accidents to worry about!

However, he would pee in the tub.  We would tell him no peepee in the bathtub and he would do it every.single.time. and we would drain the water and start over.  Every time he took a bath we would ask him if he needed to sit on the potty first and then we would say "no peepee in the bathtub!" in a happy voice.  All of a sudden out of no where he started to stand up, cover himself and say "No peepee in the bathtub!" and we would ask if he needed to sit on the potty and he would say "Uh huh!"  We just went with it.  It was seriously one of the easiest things.  We started going potty more often and then the first weekend I had after all this started we put him in underwear and we still had some accidents, but he caught on so fast.  We considered him fully trained and rarely had any accidents after only a week.

Anyway, I know I was lucky, I really do.  But you have the pee in the tub thing going for you.  Work with that!  Start trying to at least get him to sit on the potty before bath and just start telling him that he shouldn't pee in the tub.  See if you start getting anywhere with that.   Like it was said in the other post, this doesn't always have to be an all or nothing event.  Sometimes they will ease into it and that's cool too!

My sweet boy :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We started around 2, just really casual, no 3 day method or anything.  We let him go at his own pace and he was completely trained by 2.5.  We stared out by letting him sit on the potty while his bath ran and read potty books.  Once he started doing well with that, we moved on to going other times of the day, and putting him on the potty at daycare.  It was pretty easy for us too, and I think b/c we followed his lead and let him take his time with it. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"