May 2011 Moms

When to transition to 3 meals a day

Okay ladies!  My DS turned 7 months old on Monday.  I'm wondering when I should start transitioning to 3 meals a day with a snack in between. Right now his schedule is like this:

8am Breast feed, 930am Oatmeal, 10am Nap, 11am BM Bottle, 12p yogurt, 2-3pm Veggie with meat, 5pm BM bottle, 630pm Rice cereal and fruit and then 815pm Bedtime BM bottle. 

I want to cut out the evening rice cereal, turn his meat and veggie into dinner and give him fruit and veggie at lunch.  Not sure when to do this!  Any help would be great! TIA!

A Team Green, Little Boy!! Parker David June 2, 2011 5:19PM 9lbs 4oz and 21 inches Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: When to transition to 3 meals a day

• I've just been following DS's cues. He was on 2 meals a day and BFing on demand, and then around 7.5 months he started fussing at the breast. I sat him down for a meal and he squealed with delight. Well, okay then!

Now I do breakfast around 10am, lunch around 12:30-1pm, and dinner around 5. I BF on demand in between, but he's kind of weaned himself down to 4 feedings a day. This kid is all about the solid food.

• Right around 6 months DD was getting 3 bottles & 3 meals a day & we are still doing this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • imagemullenem:

I think you're over-thinking this a bit.  We went to three meals a day at about 6 months, per our pedi's rec.  Here's our schedule:

7:20ish BF

8:30-9 breakfast, usually cereal with a fruit mixed in. Now we're starting yogurt and some finger foods like bits of toast with some fruit puree spread on them.

10:30ish  BF(weekend) or BM bottle (weekday at DC)

11:30-12  lunch, usually a fruit and veggie mix.  Soon I'll be sending finger foods.

1-1:30  BF(weekend) or BM bottle (weekday at DC)

3:30-4  BF(weekend) or BM bottle (weekday at DC)

5:30-6  Dinner.  Sometimes bits of what we're eating if it's appropriate or sometimes it's a jar.  Sometimes a meat + veggies, sometimes a veggie mix, sometimes a fruit + veggie.  I'm currently trying to use up the last of our purees.

7-7:30  BF then bed.

All times are pretty approximate.  Things change a bit if she wakes up early, we're out, she naps long, etc.  Eventually, we'll probably add in an afternoon snack too.

this is our schedule too.  i think she would eat more solids too (like a ton) but i'm trying to take it easy on the amounts because i want her nursing a bunch still.  right now she eats probably a total of 8/10 oz of fruit/veg/oatmeal a day plus probably a cup of cheerios/puffs.  

bound to cover just a little more ground Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First of all, when I introduced solids, we ate those FIRST in an effort to become full and then drink about 4 oz of formula/BM.  

As soon as he wakes, do breakfast followed by BM/formula

(you might need to have a mid morning BM snack and then drop it after a while)

lunch at noonish (solids followed by bm). As soon as we did this, breakfast tied over DS until lunch!

3pm snack if you need it

dinner at 6ish solids, followed by BM/formula.

bedtime bm/formula.  Works like a charm for us! 

• My pedi says 3 meals a day by 9 months. We just started with her lunch, and now she's doing a combo of pick-up food and purees/yogurt etc.

• imagemrbear83:

First of all, when I introduced solids, we ate those FIRST in an effort to become full and then drink about 4 oz of formula/BM.  

lunch at noonish (solids followed by bm). As soon as we did this, breakfast tied over DS until lunch!

3pm snack if you need it

This is actually not the way you are supposed to do it. Breastmilk/formula is the sole source of nutrition for the 1st year of life.  Solids are more for learning and play.  You should always try and feed BM/formula, THEN solids.  

• Thats exactly what I thought but my pedi told me no. He said she is getting her nutrients from the foods and they should be fed first. I still give DD a 6oz bottle after her solids and drinks it all. I don't know what everyone else was told by their doctor? I trust my pedi but I would be interested to know if others were told different by their doctor?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLisa Frank:
    imagemrbear83:

First of all, when I introduced solids, we ate those FIRST in an effort to become full and then drink about 4 oz of formula/BM.  

3pm snack if you need it

This is actually not the way you are supposed to do it. Breastmilk/formula is the sole source of nutrition for the 1st year of life.  Solids are more for learning and play.  You should always try and feed BM/formula, THEN solids.  

That's strange. I was told by our pedi that around 9 months is when start transitioning from baby getting most of their nutrition from BM/formula to food. We were told that it's completely appropriate for them to take less formula as long as they're eating more solids which include fruits/veggies/meats/cereal (or oatmeal). Guess everyone's pedi thinks a little differently!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"