2nd Trimester

Are we not supposed to eat sesame seeds?

Hi Ladies, 

Are sesame seeds something that we are not supposed to eat? I see that it is in the hummus I eat and I thought I came across seeing something that says it is something that may need to be avoided. Please explain! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Are we not supposed to eat sesame seeds?

• My oldest son was practically grown on hamburgers when I was pregnant with him. It's all I wanted..and im surprised he didn't come out looking like a hamburger. Indifferent   Im pretty sure if not 100% positive sesame seeds are ok Tongue Tied
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• I've never heard anything about sesame seeds and this is my third.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
  • Loading the player...
  • Pineapple, papaya and sesame seeds should be avoided during pregnancy.  During pregnancy sesame seeds may lead to a miscarriage.  Many medical practitioners recommend that it is best to avoid sesame seeds especially if you have spotting or any other complications.  Talk to your doctor if you're not sure.
  • imageroxycarin:
    Pineapple, papaya and sesame seeds should be avoided during pregnancy.  During pregnancy sesame seeds may lead to a miscarriage.  Many medical practitioners recommend that it is best to avoid sesame seeds especially if you have spotting or any other complications.  Talk to your doctor if you're not sure.

Geez! Maybe if you're eating them by the handful, but a sprinkling on a bun or a little tahini in your hummus can't have the same effect. I eat pineapple too--just not in the extreme quantities I ate it at the end of my pregnancy!

• I ate nothing but pineapple my first tri , also my third have never heard this before. 

• imageroxycarin:
    Pineapple, papaya and sesame seeds should be avoided during pregnancy.  During pregnancy sesame seeds may lead to a miscarriage.  Many medical practitioners recommend that it is best to avoid sesame seeds especially if you have spotting or any other complications.  Talk to your doctor if you're not sure.

Where on Earth did you find this information? 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP 1 | EDD 4.1.11 | MMC D&C 10.27.10 | 14 weeks
    BFP 2 | EDD 9.29.11 | MC 1.25.11 | 6 weeks
    BFP 3 | EDD 3.4.12 | MC 9.5.11 | 10 weeks
    BFP 4 | Twins EDD 6.7.12 | MC James 10.31.11 Kellen 1.12.12 | 8 weeks/19 weeks

BFP 5 | EDD 12.24.12 | Rainbow Baby in the Making!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    **Formerly known as Nikki04vb**
    ? PGAL/PAL Welcome ?
  • "Talk to your doctor if you're not sure"
  • imageroxycarin:

When I did my IVF I had read that the Pineapple Core ripen your unterus so I ate one a day. Since I have been pregnent, I have a smoothie every morning made with mostly pineapple and my pregnancy has been ideal so far........

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Again I would first advise you to talk to your Dr.  I AVOID ALL unpasteurized juice (May be called ?fresh squeezed? or ?chilled?)  I'm allowed to drink Frozen concentrate, canned juices and refrigerated juices that are labeled as pasteurized, according to my Dr.  Pregnant women are at increased risk for getting some food-borne infections because of the hormonal changes that occur during pregnancy. While such changes are necessary for survival of the fetus, they also suppress the mother?s immune system, thereby increasing the chance of infection from certain food-borne pathogens.  Examples of pathogens of special concern to pregnant women are Listeria monocytogenes, Toxoplasma gondii, Brucella species, Salmonella species and Campylobacter jejuni. Certain organisms can cross the placenta and increase the fetus?s risk of becoming infected. Infection can result in miscarriage, stillbirth, premature labor or severe complications for the baby. Certain organisms, including Listeria monocytogenes, Toxoplasma gondii, Salmonella typhi and Campylobacter jejuni, can have adverse consequences for the fetus if they cross the placenta.  Talk to your Dr if you're not sure.
  • imageroxycarin:

I ran across this too and honestly thought it was ridiculous. It may be true that you should not overindulge in them during the first trimester but many more things that I've read have stated that you can eat them. I've had both pineapple and sesame seeds with no problems whatsoever.

• Pineapple Juice Usage: There is an old wives' tale floating around that pineapple juice will help a fertilized egg implant. However, pineapple juice is not recommended for use in TTC and/or pregnancy. In large doses, it can cause uterine contractions and bring on spontaneous abortions (miscarriage). Side Effects: Large doses may cause uterine contractions, miscarriage, vomiting, diarrhea, skin rash, very heavy menstrual periods. Unripe pineapple is poisonous, causing excessive diarrhea.
  • Now I want some pineapple slices, with all this talk... hehehe!!! TGIF ladies!!! Party!!!

• Ok, so literally i have been addicted to pineapple this pregnancy, BUT....im truly not scared.  Like anything else.........in moderation!  if you ate an entire pineapple every day for a month you would probably have some side effects.

**slicing pineapple**

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageroxycarin:

Wait, what..!?  Yikes.  I'd call your doc if you are in question about anything you consuming.  This statement about pineapple, papaya and sesame seeds sounds funky... I'd question the source it came from (not the person posting but where they got it from).  Take professional advice before a website :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • imagepixiedustcan:

imageroxycarin:

Wait, what..!?  Yikes.  I'd call your doc if you are in question about anything you consuming.  This statement about pineapple, papaya and sesame seeds sounds funky... I'd question the source it came from (not the person posting but where they got it from).  Take professional advice before a website :)

https://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/bromelain-000289.htm

References

• FAO/WHO (Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization). 2002. Draft Risk Assessment of Listeria monoctyogenes in Ready-to-Eat Foods.
    • FSIS-USDA. 2001. ?Listeriosis and Pregnancy: What is Your Risk?: Safe Food Handling for a Healthy Pregnancy,?
    • Lorber B. 1997. Listeriosis. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 24:1-11.
    • Silver, H. M. 1998. Listeriosis during Pregnancy. Obstetrical and Gynecological Survey. 53:737-740.
    • Smith J. L. 1999. Food-borne Infections during Pregnancy. J. Food Protection. 62: 818-829.
    • Smith J. L. 1997. Long-Term Consequences of Food-borne Toxoplasmosis: Effects on the Unborn, the Immunocompromised, the Elderly, and the Immunocompetent. J. Food Protection. 60:1595-1611.
  • I had sesame seed bagels almost everyday for my first trimester. I'm still pregnant. Baby is growing and kicking strong. I'm pretty sure there is nothing to worry about.
  • Found this on a "prenatal powerfoods" article: 

7. Tahini

Serving Size: 2 tablespoons

A paste made from sesame seeds, tahini contains all of sesame?s nutrients, including healthy oils called omega-6 fatty acids. A few tablespoons of tahini contain more than 6 grams of the fats, which are required for proper cell integrity and healthy nervous and immune system function.

Proper development of your milk glands, placenta and uterus is also dependent on having sufficient levels of healthy fats in your body. Tahini is also a good source of thiamin, phosphorus, copper and manganese, all key to your baby?s healthy development. 

Don't believe every "you can't eat this during pregnant" website you read. I eat black sesame on salads and in veggie burgers or anything else I can put them into, all the time. My doctor said almost all seeds (including sesame) are excellent for pregnant women. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemrscmomtobe:

Found this on a "prenatal powerfoods" article: 

7. Tahini

Serving Size: 2 tablespoons

A paste made from sesame seeds, tahini contains all of sesame?s nutrients, including healthy oils called omega-6 fatty acids. A few tablespoons of tahini contain more than 6 grams of the fats, which are required for proper cell integrity and healthy nervous and immune system function.

Proper development of your milk glands, placenta and uterus is also dependent on having sufficient levels of healthy fats in your body. Tahini is also a good source of thiamin, phosphorus, copper and manganese, all key to your baby?s healthy development. 

Don't believe every "you can't eat this during pregnant" website you read. I eat black sesame on salads and in veggie burgers or anything else I can put them into, all the time. My doctor said almost all seeds (including sesame) are excellent for pregnant women. 

"Sesame seeds are known as a cell growth regulator and slows down cell growth and replication."

World Health Organization

• Really what did our great grandmother's do, I mean they didn't have the internet! The horror of eating a pineapple and a few sesame seeds OMG! Some of this Sh*t is just ridiculous. Im glad my first 3 pregnancies were before the internet was around.Confused

• imagereinedecajun:
    Really what did our great grandmother's do, I mean they didn't have the internet! The horror of eating a pineapple and a few sesame seeds OMG! Some of this Sh*t is just ridiculous. Im glad my first 3 pregnancies were before the internet was around.Confused

I think our great grandmother's had real problems due to lack of information.  For example, in the late 1940s, before there was a polio vaccine, public health experts in America noted that polio cases increased in step with the consumption of ice cream.  Eliminating such treats was even recommended as part of an anti-polio diet. It turned out that polio outbreaks were most common in the hot months of summer, when people naturally ate more ice cream.  Its known as "The Ice Cream Scare."  I rather live in age of information.   A new field of science called epigenetics is finding that what happens in the womb can influence which genes are turned on and off.  As DNA, the blueprint of your body, is rolled out during development, it gets copied. And while that copying occurs, the things you are experiencing - what you eat, the toxins you are exposed to - can stop that copy machine from working properly. This basic principal of epigenetics means that, while we can't control what genes we pass on to our children, we may be able to control which genes get turned on or turned off.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"