Austin Babies

NBR: Healthy Eaters-- need advice

I just looked up the skim milk I drink and it says it has 12 g of sugar per cup!  holy moly!!  No wonder I can't stay under my sugar count when I have at least 2 cups of that a day.

Anyone know why the sugar is so high?  Should I substitute?  Where else can I get easy calcium?

Married October 28, 2006, TTC since March 2009 IUI #1-8 w/ clomid = BFN
IVF # 1 May, 2011 = BFP!!! Stillbirth at 26 weeks (placental failure/severe IUGR)
FET #1 February, 2012-- BFP! Beta #1=84 Beta #2= 207 Beta #3= 3,526 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
Our Rainbow Baby is on the Way!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: NBR: Healthy Eaters-- need advice

• 1 cup of almond milk (unsweetened) has no sugar. 0g. and 45% of your daily calcium needs (double that of milk)
  • We are dairy free and not even slightly calcium deficient. If you have symptoms of being calcium deficient this is a good resource for calcium sources:

https://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=45

• Loading the player...
  • I'm all about the unsweetened vanilla almond milk! I use it in my coffee, cereal, oatmeal, etc.
  • Keep in mind, there are different types of sugar.  Sucrose, is your common refined white table sugar.  Lactose, however is the naturally occurring sugar in milk.  Fructose is the natural sugar present in fruit.  A large apple has about 23g of sugar in it, but again its natural fructose, not refined white sugar.  So, milk has a lot of lactose but not added sucrose.
  • Broccoli is an excellent calcium source. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageemabend:
    Keep in mind, there are different types of sugar.  Sucrose, is your common refined white table sugar.  Lactose, however is the naturally occurring sugar in milk.  Fructose is the natural sugar present in fruit.  A large apple has about 23g of sugar in it, but again its natural fructose, not refined white sugar.  So, milk has a lot of lactose but not added sucrose.

This is what I was going to say. Its added sugar that gets you. Lactose is naturally occurring.  

That being said, I haven't had a glass of milk since my mother stopped forcing me to drink it when I was 5 and I've had no calcium issues. Low fat string cheese and greek yogurt are staples in my diet. There are also some leafy greens that have calcium but they escape me at the moment.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"