January 2012 Moms
Options

getting asked about WIC

So every time I go to the store, the cashier always asks me if I'm on WIC. The first couple of times I didn't think anything of it, but now if feels weird that they have asked every single time. We do live in a poorer neighborhood, and I know they are just trying to be nice. I am just curious if this is happening to anybody else? Silly self-conscious pregnancy hormones are getting the best of me. 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: getting asked about WIC

• Options
    She may be asking because pregnant women qualify for WIC.  Or maybe she sees so many people with WIC that it's become automatic to ask regardless of who the customer is.  Either way, don't take it personally.  If it bothers you, you could always ask the cashier why she feels the need to ask.  She may explain it's store policy to check. 
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    imagenamara5532:
    She may be asking because pregnant women qualify for WIC.  Or maybe she sees so many people with WIC that it's become automatic to ask regardless of who the customer is.  Either way, don't take it personally.  If it bothers you, you could always ask the cashier why she feels the need to ask.  She may explain it's store policy to check. 
    I used to cashier at a grocery store and was thinking it could be store policy, especially if they get a lot of WIC moms in there. Also, WIC orders are a PITA for the cashier because everything is so specific. She wouldn't want to ring you up and THEN find out it was a WIC order. They need to know at the beginning of the order to do it properly, so she might just be trying to make her life easier.
    Married DH - December 2006, Started TTC - July 2009, BFP - May 15, 2011 (round #1 chlomid) Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    With stores like Walmart, they have to know before they start scanning yoru items, so you can insert your WIC card 1st.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No immediate experience, but I was going to say the same thing as PPs. It's probably because it's 1) story policy to ask 2) easier to check before she rings you up 3) common to have people on WIC coming in.
    DD 1.18.2012
  • Options
    Ditto the PPs - I was a cashier in high school and WIC is an absolute pain in the azz to deal with at the end of a transaction, so they are probably used to asking to save themselves time.
    After TTC with IR PCOS:
    April 2011: Metformin 1500mg + Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + Prometrium = BFP!
    Beta #1 at 14DPO: 197 Beta #2 at 18DPO: 1296
    At 40w6d, our Team Green surprise came by unplanned C-section and changed our lives forever!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I guess for me, when I was a cashier I never assumed anybody was on wic. I know it is an inconvenience if you have to ring it up again, but most people on wic or ebt don't like it announced to the whole line. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"