Austin Babies

LLL meeting in Oak Hill

Has anyone been to this and can share their experience? 

DS has a bad latch and I am thinking about going to the meeting next Thursday to see if they can help us with that, but I am not sure what to expect. We used a nipple shield so far and h does great on that, but I am trying to wean him from that and it's not working out that well. Hmpf. 

DS born 12/2011
DD born 03/2014

Re: LLL meeting in Oak Hill

• Haven't been but might like to go. When and where? We have a latch issue here too.
    Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • It's next Thursday at 10 am:  https://texaslll.org/group/austin-oakhill

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Loading the player...
  • i went in november and december. the nov turnout was huge - 15-20 moms and cheryl (the LC from special addition) was there, so we covered a lot of people's questions and concerns. december was small - 5 repeat moms from november and the 2 LLL leaders. it was a more structured meeting with set topics and whatever else popped up.

i found them helpful. but attendance really makes a difference for how much info is shared and discussed. 

EDIT: the ones i went to were at the oak hill library branch and is listed under austin south 2. https://texaslll.org/group/austin-south2 

• I have not been, but I wanted to comment on the nipple shield use.  Don't get discouraged!  We used it for a while, too, and weaning was HARD.  I got a lot of support here, it helped to hear that so many others used it as well.  Some people used it for months and their LO was able to nurse fine. 

When I got up enough courage, I started trying to nurse without the shield at first.  I'd usually have to put it right back on, but eventually we got to where we could go without it for a bit.  It started out at 30 seconds, 1 minute, and slowly moving up.  When we hit the 5 minute mark, I was so happy!  He would nurse for about 45 minutes, but those 5 minutes were HUGE.  One day, DH came home for lunch to find both DS and me bawling trying to nurse with the shield.  He encouraged me to try without it again (which was so painful at first) and it was like a switch was flipped.  We've been nursing without it ever since. 

Obviously, the LLL ladies will be a much bigger help with "hands on" action and knowledge, but I just wanted to say you're not alone and give you some encouragement that you will be able to nurse without it!  I didn't think we would ever get there.  GL!!

• Thank you, el_twirpo, maybe I will check out both meetings. I can imagine that it's pretty crowded when there are so many ladies with questions! 

imagebrooke152:

I have not been, but I wanted to comment on the nipple shield use.  Don't get discouraged!  We used it for a while, too, and weaning was HARD.  I got a lot of support here, it helped to hear that so many others used it as well.  Some people used it for months and their LO was able to nurse fine. 

When I got up enough courage, I started trying to nurse without the shield at first.  I'd usually have to put it right back on, but eventually we got to where we could go without it for a bit.  It started out at 30 seconds, 1 minute, and slowly moving up.  When we hit the 5 minute mark, I was so happy!  He would nurse for about 45 minutes, but those 5 minutes were HUGE.  One day, DH came home for lunch to find both DS and me bawling trying to nurse with the shield.  He encouraged me to try without it again (which was so painful at first) and it was like a switch was flipped.  We've been nursing without it ever since. 

Obviously, the LLL ladies will be a much bigger help with "hands on" action and knowledge, but I just wanted to say you're not alone and give you some encouragement that you will be able to nurse without it!  I didn't think we would ever get there.  GL!!

Thank you, Brooke, it does help to know I'm not the only one struggling with this. Maybe I should try it with your method of weaning slowly. I just stopped using the shield yesterday morning and tied to tough it out, but now both nipples are cracked and I will have to use it again to let them heal before it gets worse. I like the idea of starting with 30 seconds first and then increasing it once that works. Thanks again!

DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Oh girl, I'm sorry about the cracked nips!  That happened to me, too, and I literally cried in pain every time he latched.  Honestly, I think the shield made it worse but there was no way I could do it without the shield.  I used lots and lots of lanolin and air drying. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"