Austin Babies

seriously, why do people take babies to sporting events?!

I was TOTALLY judging the woman behind me who had a baby who couldn't have been more than 3 months old (probably younger, it was tiny) at the Spurs game tonight.  WTF?!  It was SUPER loud in there (not to mention late!) and she kept trying to cover his ears, but hello, dumb b!tch, take the baby home!  You don't need to be at a Spurs game if you can't find a damn baby-sitter.

/rant

Re: seriously, why do people take babies to sporting events?!

• I totally agree!  We were out at dinner at 9pm and someone was trying to get thier child to sit still and eat.  Hello!  they are a toddler and it is past thier bedtime.  Get them home and do your socializing at a better time for them.

Married and it feels so good! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • In general, I agree. A Spurs game - WTF?

But it happens sometimes Embarrassed Two days before Christmas I had the baby out shopping at 9:30pm. She was tiiiired. But damnit, it had to get done since we were leaving town the next day. She slept in and made up the time the next morning. However, I got TOLD by one of the employees. The woman at the jewelry counter actually told me to take my kid home and put her to bed!! All I could do was laugh. Seriously, lady? 99% of the time, my kid is snoring by 7:05. The world is not going to end if she misses bedtime a few times.

• Loading the player...
  • My girls have been going to Houston Texans' games since they were a few months old.  Babysitters?  Um, Julia would never ever take a bottle, and I wasn't going to miss my football.  (dang I miss my season tix)  And they both attended baseball as babies as well.

I will admit we tried to take E to a Rockets game when she was 5 months old and that was a disaster.  They blast music after every play, and it was scaring her.  We left after 10 minutes.

As for babies out late?  It is easy to take babies out late.  Toddlers/small kids have a rougher time being out late than babies.

imageimage
    6-yr-old Elena and 4-yr-old Julia.
    My Blog! All about my girls and quilting
  • Meh, I try not to judge stuff like that unless it's really something dangerous (like the ear protection thing) or the kid is disruptive. Other than that, I don't really care if someone has their kid out late - maybe they made an exception one time for whatever reason - so the kid might be tired, it's not like it's the end of the world.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMainer-in-Texas:
    Meh, I try not to judge stuff like that unless it's really something dangerous (like the ear protection thing) or the kid is disruptive. Other than that, I don't really care if someone has their kid out late - maybe they made an exception one time for whatever reason - so the kid might be tired, it's not like it's the end of the world.

The only time parents having kids out late makes me cringe is when my mom is with me.  Because she thinks that us having A on a schedule and the fact that she has a bedtime is ridiculous, so she likes to make little comments when we see babies out late.  "OMG!  That baby better get to bed, right, L??"  Teefuckinghee.

• When we were there last week a guy a had his baby sitting on his lap, holding her with his left hand and a beer in the right hand. I was impressed he his DD sat so still for so long and he didn't spill his beer. Or his daughter. He was evening able to do some loud heckling.
  • We've taken DD to several UT games (always the night games and we usually left by the end of the third quarter). She was always well-behaved and when she was younger, I wore her most of the time. I think it depends on the kid. H would fall asleep on us when she got too tired and she wasn't disruptive to anyone around us. I might think twice about taking her now since her attention span is waning but overall, I don't see what the big deal is.
  • I laughed when I read this because I was "that" mom a few months ago when I took my then 3.5 month old to a college football game.  I had my mom and my sister lined up to watch lil G but but then the day before the game they both had to cancel on me.  I really, really love college football and this was the only live game for my team I was going to be able to see since it isn't a local team so we went anyway and took her in the Bjorn.  I felt like such a bad mom the entire time and totally felt like everyone there was judging me but in the end, it was really fun and she was fine.  We had great seats surrounded by old alumni so the crowd was pretty tame and it was an outdoor stadium so the noise wasn't too bad  She actually napped for most of the second half! 

Honestly, I probably wouldn't do it again but I don't regret it.  :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrsRosie:

I only judge that she didn't have ear protection.

Ditto.  I had DD at ACL and she was awake & rocking out to Kanye at 10pm.  At least she had eat protection.  

• imageMrsMillerTime:
    imageMrsRosie:

I only judge that she didn't have ear protection.

Ditto.  I had DD at ACL and she was awake & rocking out to Kanye at 10pm.  At least she had eat protection.  

I think that is a different thing when the kiddo is handling it well as both of yours did.  Where I judge is when the toddler is NOT handling it well and is making it miserable for everyone else.  And, I get that sometimes you just have to do what you got to do.  We were "those" parents at a Burger King near Brenham at 8pm with cranky toddlers.  DH got out of military late and so we were late getting home.  They were hungry and DH/I needed a break from the trip.  It was a win for no one. 

Married and it feels so good! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Huh.  Well, I guess I just judge more harshly.  ;)

Seriously though, it was the noise that I was most worried about.  I don't know if any of y'all watched the game, but it got to be pretty exciting at the end and it got REALLY loud.  Everyone was standing up and cheering and the kids (they looked about 10-12) directly behind where the baby was sitting were banging those balloon things together and making a very loud racket.  It was horribly loud and the woman was only able to cover one of the baby's ears b/c she was using her other hand to keep a pacifier in his mouth.  The baby did not look pleased. 

• i took DS to a texas stars game in november - so 2 months old. even bf'ed him there. he likes all the lights and crowd noise, and hockey games (regular season) aren't that loud during play. he totally fell asleep from mid 2nd period on. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"