March 2012 Moms
Options

Sleeping propped up?

I know I've seen a few of you mention that you are sleeping propped up now. How do you do it? Body pillows? Lots of regular sized bed pillows? What body parts need to be supported? I really want to try it tonight, since my hips have been killing me from the past few nights of side sleeping.
One direction photo: One Direction gif onedirectiongifmacarenaey_zpsbdaf903f.gif
DS born 3.12 
DD born 7.14

Re: Sleeping propped up?

• Options
    I sleep with a pregnancy pillow. On my side with the pillow between my knees and under my belly. I sleep with two pillows under my head. One is a firm pillow for support and the other is just my regular pillow. If I sleep on my back I have the two pillows propping me up like a hospital bed, and then put a pillow under my knees.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Sleeping propped up is the only way I can sleep right now ... either on my back or my sides.

I use two or three regular pillows in a staircase like position behind my back/head and then another behind my knees if on my back or in between my legs if on my side.

I can not wait to get back to sleeping on my stomach!! I miss it so much. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I slept propped up for the first time last night and it was amazing.. I had three pillows behind me propping me up, a body pillow that I put against my belly and between my legs and a pillow behind my back.. I agree with a pp that it is much more comfortable to be sandwiched in. I have been having really bad hip pains at night and reflux, by sleeping propped up lastnight it really helped with both.
  • Options
    Ugh.  I have tried to do this time and time again and just cannot.  It is SO uncomfortable!  Last night though, reflux started from lying down, so now I am back to wondering if I can somehow make it work...
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    imageExcited30:
    I have been sleeping propped up for weeks now.  I use three pillows, I don't find that two are enough.  Like PP said, I put them in a staircase position.  I also have a long body pillow on my right side, and a pillow for between my legs and another pillow on my left side by my stomach.  I suppose I could do without the last pillow, but it just makes it oh, so much more comfortable to be sandwiched in like that.  I haven't bought pregnancy specific pillows as I am frugal and want to use what I have.. About half of the nights I sleep like a queen inbetween pee breaks.  Other nights I sleep half in bed and half on the couch..Pregnancy is hard to sleep through.  I hope that you find a way that works well for you tonight.  I also find that sleeping propped up helps tremendously against any nights where I might have reflux.
    This is how I do it to. The sandwich thing. 3 pillows staircased behind me, then I have a body pillow that goes under my belly on the left and down between my knees (when I'm propped up I tend to lean to the left.) So I also have a pillow on my right side and sometimes another on top of that one to serve as a prop for my arm and sometimes the same on my left. So really in the end, I look like I've created my own recliner chair out of pillows!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I do the staircase thing with 3 regular bed pillows. Sleeping on my side, I have a body pillow between my legs, and I also have a regular pillow running long ways under the hip I'm sleeping on. This has helped relieve the hip pain.
  • Options
    I have been doing it about once a night because my hips are in so much pain. I have a big pillow that I just prop up behind me so that I'm in a reclined position without laying down. At first it was weird sleeping that way, but now the hip relief is so great that it's not a problem.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I use a lot of pillows! I have a snoogle on my left side, a long pillow to the right since I turn over during the night.  Then I have three pillows behind my to prop me up a bit, so I can avoid massive acid reflux and help my cough I am rocking.
  • Options
    I usually start off sleeping flat on my side, and I can make it through most of the night without hip pain.  Usually at about 5 in the morning I start getting hip pain, so I prop up a firm pillow on top of the snoogle and then put a softer pillow on top of the firm pillow.  It creates about a 45 degree angle, and then sometimes I put my feet up on the bottom part of the snoogle.  I fall asleep again so quickly and have zero hip pain after that.  I find it isn't comfortable enough for me to sleep like that the whole night, but it definitely helps me get those final hours of sleep.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

i tried sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees, but after about 2 nights my hips were aching and the muscles were cramping. ugh.

now i usually take naps propped up with to firm pillows behind my head/shoulders and one squishy pillow under my knees. the pillow under my knees makes all the difference.
    i can also sort of sleep half-way on my side like this, but sometimes the knee-pillow gets in the way.

in a pinch i can still sleep on my side/belly if i put a pillow under my top leg and have that knee bent at a 45 degree angle. that's getting harder, though.

it make me wish i could afford one of those fancy old-people adjustable beds. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"