December 2011 Moms
Options

BFing and Pumping

How often are you BFing and Pumping?

Within about an hour and a half of feeding or pumping I am super engorged and have to either feed or pump again, I am having to wake up just to pump because I am beyond uncomfortable and hurt.  By boobs hurt all the time because of it and I am running out of storage containers and freezer room. When I pump I am only getting about an ounce to 2 ounces before there's nothing left.

Re: BFing and Pumping

• Options

Pumping is just going to make your engorgement and pain issues worse because it's telling the body to make more milk.

There are some good ideas and advice on engorgement on this site: https://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/engorgement.html

To answer your original question, I nurse DS 8-9x/day and pump once or twice. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    He eats every 2-3 hours and I pump usually just twice a day. If you need to pump to be more comfortable, only remove enough milk to make your breast less firm, do not empty them. Emptying them tells your body to make more milk and will make engorgement worse.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've tried partially emptying and fully emptying when I pump and eventually feel the same.  Partially emptying extends my relief to about 2 to 2 and a half hours instead of 1 to 1 and a half.  I guess I am going to have to go back to partially pumping.
  • Options
    I am feeding 7-8 times a day.  I will pump after my first morning feeding because she usually sleeps a good 5hrs sometimes 6 so I'm always still pretty full even after she feeds.  I usually get about 3-4oz.  Then if at some point she only feeds off one breast then I will pump the other and get about an oz.  That only happens maybe 2 times a day.   If engorgement is too painful I love to take a shower and it really helps. 
    image Started TTC 11/07 BFP 09/24/08 Miscarriage 09/30/08 First cycle of clomid August 09 Second cycle of clomid September 09 BFP 09/30/09 Miscarriage 10/10/09 Three more rounds of clomid and no success Diagnosed with Unexplained Infertility Abnormal Bleeding for 3 months resulted in D&C but results were normal November 2010 100mg clomid but didn't respond December 2010 forced break for a cyst February 2011 150mg clomid but still no response March 2011 250mg clomid and responded! Ovidrel trigger shot and IUI on March 31 Beta #1 11dpo: 27 Beta #2 15dpo: 85 Beta #3 18dpo 276 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Ditto PP. Your supply will even out in the next few weeks and it shouldn't be as bad. The 'zenith' of your supplyis around 3ish weeks then it balances out. Hang in there!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm feeding every 2-3 hours and I pump about 3-4 times a day. I've been trying to get my body on a schedule that works for me and will work when I go back to work. The only time I get really sore boobs is at night when DS sleeps 4-6 hours

• Options
    DD was in the NICU and had to get formula because of sugar issues.  I got to BF for like 5 mins, before they made me give her formula.  Then, they had me pump for 20 mins.  I came home and fed her, then pumped for 20 mins for at least the first four days after leaving the hospital.  No one told me that pumping every time after feeding will significantly increase your milk supply.  Needless to say, I am Bessie the cow.  I feed her every 3-3.5 hrs during the day and one 5 hr at night.  I pump twice a day now.  I have a freezer full of milk......I hope she drinks it all.
  • Options
    I nurse or pump every 3 or 4 hours around the clock. I find pumping to be easier because it's so much faster. I can pump about 5 ounces every 4 hours.. Nursing her takes at least 20 min and she usually only takes one side. Then i have to pump the other side anyway so it takes forever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"