January 2012 Moms
Options

My water just broke: Update!

Hi ladies,

Thank you all so much for your well wishes when I posted Tuesday morning about my water breaking. Our son, Matthew Tyler, was born Tuesday night at 8:58 pm. He weighed 6lbs 15 oz and was 19.5 inches long. He's absolutely gorgeous with a full head of hair and we are totally in love.

My labor and delivery experience was crazy! I called my OB's office after my water broke and they told me of course to go to the hospital. I called my husband at work and he came home within the hour. Thank God I had most everything packed in my hospital bag and everything else pretty much ready to go (had just put the pack n play up in our room the day before and had the car seat in the car). I had time to take a shower and finish getting prepared since I wasn't having contractions at that point. When we got to the hospital they checked me and the nurse couldn't get to my cervix. We walked around the L&D ward for awhile and my contractions were coming about every 3-4 minutes but just felt like really bad menstrual cramps. When they checked me again, I was about 2 centimeters but what was frustrating was that when they did the litmus test thing to see if my water had actually broken, they kept getting a negative result. They were asking me all these questions and at one point even insinuated that maybe it was urine. Finally they sent me for an ultrasound to check my amniotic fluid level and the tech said that I had plenty of fluid in there. At that point, I was totally frustrated and confused. I went back to the room and the nurse said she was going to let my doctor know, but they had to wait for the official dictation of the u/s report before making a final decision about keeping me or not. At that point, it seemed the consensus among the hospital staff was that I was in early labor, but could go home until contractions got stronger.

Well...in the time we were waiting for the doctor's report, my contractions went from uncomfortable to horrible. I literally was not getting a break in between them. So much for the stages of labor! I couldn't even talk and nurses kept coming in asking me questions while I was contracting. I don't think anyone realized how fast I was progressing. Finally, they said they were going to start some IV meds but it took 3 or 4 nurses to get my IV in because I have very small veins and they weren't very good at finding them. I continued to contract without interruption basically and by the time the anesthesiologist came to give me an epidural, I was begging him and the nurse to make the pain stop. What I didn't realize at the time (and found out after the epi was administered) was that I had gone from 2 centimeters to fully dilated in just a couple of hours. Shortly after I got the epi, I started pushing. I pushed for a total of 55 minutes and then our beautiful son was born.

I have to say that everything was a blur and happened so fast. I got no rest in the hospital because people kept coming in all the time to check me or the baby and unfortunately for me, because I had him at night, there were no lactation consultants on hand, so we had to wing the whole breastfeeding thing on our own that night. I was disappointed with how some things went and things that weren't done (they forgot to give our son his hearing screen at the hospital), but we are blessed that he is healthy despite being 2 weeks early.

I wish you ladies all the best as your babies come. I'm going to stick around to hear about your bundles of joy arriving and hope that you all have a wonderful birth experience. Happy New Year!  

Re: My water just broke: Update!

• Options

Congratulations!!! Can't wait to join the club of having an "outside baby".

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Congrats!! Glad to hear everyone is doing well! :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awwww congratulations! I can't believe your water didn't even break.  It's so weird how different every labor is from person to person, really!
  • Options
    Congrats to you and your new family!  I hope everything goes well for you and you get some quiet time at home to spend with them.  :-)
  • Options
    Congrats!
    Robin - CO Mod * RP & JHutch Lover * Hufflepuff
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Books read in 2013: ~ Audiobooks listened to in 2013: 3
    Currently reading: The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon
    Currently listening to: The Dark Divine by Bree Despain
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf) image
  • Options
    Congratulations!!  I would love to see a picture of him!!

Layla 01.08.12

Chloe and Vivian 07.23.13

My Gang.  Halloween 2013

• Options

imageSascha3:
    Congratulations!!  I would love to see a picture of him!!

I am not sure how to post a picture. I will try to figure it out unless someone can tell me the quick and easy way since I've never posted a pic before.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"