Alabama Babies
Options

Hey ladies a question

One of my friends is having her first baby.  Her shower is Nov 8.  I was looking at her registry last night.  Um wow there was PRICEY stuff on there.  There wasn't a lot in the normal price range.  I want to spend about $50, and with the things that she had on there that wouldn't be a lot.  I mean we are talking 30 dollar crib sheets...isn't that kinda high?  Or am I totally out of the loop?  Just her infant carrier and nothing else was 259 dollars.  This wasn't a travel system.  She has three different types of high chairs on there, a normal one, the space saver one, and one that attaches directly to the table.  Her umbrella stroller is 70 dollars, and then her normal stroller is 200 dollars.  She has the convertible car seat on there and I already knew what prices were like for those so it wasn't a shock.  

She has already had one shower and she said she got a lot of clothes and books at that one.  She is having a girl so that doesn't surprise me.  And after seeing her registry I guess people thought her tastes were expensive.  

So I am at a loss what to get her.  I really wanted to get her something useful off her registry but I want to feel like I am giving her something.  One crib sheet doesn't feel like much but I can't go over 50 dollars...I have to stick to my budget.  I have known her since we were 10 (i'm 28 now) so I wanted a meaniful gift.  

So any ideas?  What would you do if you were me?  

Re: Hey ladies a question

• Options

wow, that is a lot of pricey stuff! What about stuff she will need, like diapers, wipes, baby shampoo and lotion, baby powder, etc. in a basket? (I'm a big fan of gift baskets!)

• Options

You could make her a diaper cake... (basically a bunch of diapers stacked onto each other like a wedding cake. google how-to directions).

Or, you could get her lots of little things that she wants.

It's too bad she didn't register for some moderately priced things. The stroller I want is $380 so I didn't even register for it.. I'm going to buy it for myself on ebay. I also want a carseat that is $300.

But, also think it's important to register for other stuff so that there are options for people. Otherwise, she's just going to get clothes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
    mmc and d&c at 8.5 weeks - 8/23/2010
    natural m/c and d&c at 10 weeks - 1/24/2014
    DX w/ hetero C677t and A1298C MTHFR - 3/4/2014

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I have the Space Saver hi-chair and love it!  Can you get her that? I think it was like $49.

If not, then I would totally just get her something that's not on her registry.  I mean, I normally wouldn't suggest that, but it sounds like she kinda set herself for that to happen.  Most people don't spend hundreds of dollars on a shower gift unless they are family or just plain rich!  And, yes, $30 for one sheet sounds excessive to me!  I would do the best you can with $50 and call it a day!

If you want to get something something a little less traditional you could always get her a GC for a "New Mommy"  treat for after the baby is born like for a massage or pedicure...maybe put that with a sweet little baby outfit that you find on sale or something. 

• Options
    I am all for the basket idea!! Diapers, wipes, shampoo, etc!  Practical things that I also received in a basket like cotton balls, rubbing alcohol, and baby qtips were all things that I needed at first and hadn't even thought about (a new mom had given me all of that)! To make it a little more special you could throw in a monogrammed burp cloth, bib, paci clip, etc.....
  • Options

These are all great ideas.

Lydia I usually do make diaper cakes along with a small gift but this time around I have two showers to go to in one day plus I am throwing a shower the following week so time isn't allowing for it. But thanks for the suggestion :)  

I think I will do a basket for her.  They have some cute baskets on sale at Michaels this week and I'll just put baby essentials in it.  

Thanks again ladies!

• Options
    you could get her a cute outfit (I would suggest getting a 6 mo or larger - Avery has sooo many 3 month size clothes)  or something gifty like for instance, Fran gave Avery some very very cute little socks that look like shoes - so so cute and a gift card to use later.  We're now freaking out that we're going to have to start buying diapers soon... geez!
  • Options

I like the idea of a gift basket.  I got one with a towel, washcloth, and baby wash.  I actually use the basket in his room also.

Another thing you may put in a basket if you are going to diapers and all that is some waterproof lap pads. I use those constantly. 

Also another idea for a gift, is a monagrammed towel or blanket.  I got a monogrammed hooded towel as a gift and I love it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"