Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

bumper idea

So I love the finished look that a bumper gives a crib, but I know that there are safety concerns regarding them as well. Which makes me very uneasy. I found this on a Google Images search and thought it could be a good solution (if this is your image I did not mean to steal it!) because it takes the bulk of the bumper outside of the crib where baby cannot get caught up in it, and would be less likely used as a step ladder. Any ties would be cut off so as not to pose a choking or strangling hazard. Thoughts? I am still thinking thorough the air flow issue. The room we will using as a nursery is small and has a ceiling fan in the middle. If the fan is kept on low, wouldn't that increase circulation?

Re: bumper idea

• Options
    Personally, I think that looks funny and my eye is immediately drawn to the bumper instead of the crib or the whole ensemble.  If it were me, I'd just save the bumper for a time when the baby gets older OR if your crib turns into a toddler bed, use it then as padding.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It does look odd to me, too.

And I just think safety is WAY more important than anything else.  Airflow is so important!!!

My 16m old has never had bumpers and has never been injured by her crib because of the lack of them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Personally I think it would look better without the bumper. Having it on the outside looks odd to me. 

For what its worth, we never used a bumper with our LO and our crib looked really nice without one.

If you are really worried about the look that a bumper gives, you could always buy one and remove it before bedtime. Seems like a lot of work to me, though.

• Options

if you like the look of the bumper, try one of these sheet sets, meant to imitate the look

https://www.skiphop.com/category/completesheetcollections.html 

Gretchen Evie, born 7/8/2012 at 35w5d
  • Options
    Eh I wouldn't waste my money on a bumper for that.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagexoladiebug:
    Personally, I think that looks funny and my eye is immediately drawn to the bumper instead of the crib or the whole ensemble.  If it were me, I'd just save the bumper for a time when the baby gets older OR if your crib turns into a toddler bed, use it then as padding.

This. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageCrazyToast:

It does look odd to me, too.

And I just think safety is WAY more important than anything else.  Airflow is so important!!!

My 16m old has never had bumpers and has never been injured by her crib because of the lack of them. 

This.  It looks odd and I think you'd still have the air flow problems.  Looks better without the bumper.

BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• Options

imagexoladiebug:

This is what we are doing.  Safety is more important than the crib looking cute.

• Options
    Thank you ladies for your opinions! I agree that with the bumper on the outside it does make it an odd focal point, and I agree that safety is more important that a cute bed, but like everyone I am looking for ways to have my cake and eat it too :) Especially since I am not the decorator type, so wall art and chotchkies are going to be minimal. I guess at this point I just see the bed as being the main oopmh in the room. Guess its back to the drawing board for me! If anyone has any ideas on ways to make the bed or room pop that are good for a novice crafter I would appreciate it!
  • Options

imagecassoppea:
    Eh I wouldn't waste my money on a bumper for that.

This. I can think of a million better ways to spend my hard earned dollars. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I also think that it looks ridiculous.  However, I don't think that it will affect airflow (as long as it was set up as it is in the pic above), as the bumper is below the level of the mattress, so the crib slats near the baby's face will be open with plenty of airflow.

I would just buy one of those cute new Skip Hop sheets that has the side what is meant to look similar to a bumper - they're so cute, along with a coordinating crib skirt. 

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    imagethemissizz:

I would just buy one of those cute new Skip Hop sheets that has the side what is meant to look similar to a bumper - they're so cute, along with a coordinating crib skirt. 

This! 

• Options
    imageSladekinlove:
    imagethemissizz:

This! 

Oh these are soo nice!! What a good idea. My bedding set came w/ a bumper but I am scared of using it. I don't care if it were 1 person that experienced something bad I refuse to put my baby at risk. So for now till the baby is born it's in the crib and i'll remove it. :) 

• Options
    That looks weird!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagepugznploons:

if you like the look of the bumper, try one of these sheet sets, meant to imitate the look

Those are soooo cute and what a good idea!!!
    Loving life's blessings!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options

if you have the extra money to spend...

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3944016

we are personally just using a breathable bumper

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2529738

it's not as cute as the padded bumpers, but it looks more 'complete'

• Options
    imageCopsGirl11103:
    imagepugznploons:

Those are soooo cute and what a good idea!!!
    They are selling these at Target now if you want to see them IRL. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"