June 2012 Moms
Options

Semi-BR: Car Question

DH and I might have to get a new car in the next few months before the baby is born. I need a used car that is less than $10k, four door, and (hopefully) a manual transmission. We don't do SUVs or minivans, so we're looking at sedans or wagons (something that gets ~30 mpg or more).  Do you all have suggestions? We're looking for something reliable but very inexpensive. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Semi-BR: Car Question

• Options

Well we just bought a mini van (yeah never thought I would join that club), but before that we had a Dodge Stratus. I loved that car. It was roomy, got good mileage and was under 10K.

Good luck in your search!

ETA: The only reason we got rid of it was b/c we travel a lot and a van suited our needs better. If we didn't travel so much, we would have kept the car.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    What about a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla? You could probably find one in your price range, most likely with a lot of miles, but they're pretty reliable and get good gas mileage. You might also check out Subaru wagons. They generally get good gas mileage.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    technically the outback is still considered a wagon even with its more suv/crossover feel. IDK how much they go for used but we have recently bought a new one with a large number of features. I absolutely love it and will prob stick with that unless we end up needing a 3rd row at some point.
    Our Halloween Treat! Self-weaned at 23months Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We'd always assumed we would get a Subaru one day, but I'm having a hard time finding one in my price range.  I was thinking about a Civic maybe.  I used to have one a number of years ago and liked it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'd be careful about a Subaru wagon. We had an Impreza wagon and had to trade it in. DD's stroller barely fit in the hatch, with VERY little room for groceries or anything else. The infant carrier behind the passenger seat made it so that my knees touched the dash (I'm only 5'5"). It was very hard to travel in due to lack of space, and I couldn't drive because DH didn't fit in the passenger seat. We loved the car, but it wasn't a good match for a family with young kids.

We ended up with a new Honda Accord. The trunk is massive - I can fit the stroller in sideways or lengthwise. We even fit a bookcase in their along with luggage on one trip. Obviously a new one is more than 10k, but this body style goes back to 2008 so you may be able to get a good deal on a slightly used one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemylittlesunshine:

Well we just bought a mini van (yeah never thought I would join that club), but before that we had a Dodge Stratus. I loved that car. It was roomy, got good mileage and was under 10K.

This is how I feel about my Status... and thats what I'll prolly have when baby comes... Mine is an 02 and I get about 30 miles to the gallon everyday... sometimes 40 when I put cruz control on... I've had this car since I was 19 and have put 100,000+ miles on it and it still gets me from point A to B... it currently has 151,000 on it... Just don't tell my mom I love my car... They bought it when I was 15 and I threw a huge fit about how one day it would be my car and I didn't help pick it out... My mom and I laugh about it now because it really was never supposed to be my car... thats just how it worked out...   So a newer model should be even better than mine :) oh and the trunk is huge... We took it out from Indiana to New Jersey... when I was 15 my sister was 13 and both of my parents and we had to pack for two weeks and it worked great! 

• Options
    Yeah I really liked the trunk on the Stratus as well. I never had a problem fitting DD's stroller in it.
    "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
    Goodbye little angel(7/22/2011)....see you in heaven
    Goodbye my second angel (9/18/2011)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just got a manual Nissan Cube. I was driving a beetle so for me it is pretty roomy, high ceiling, lots of leg room in back and cargo storage. So far I really like it. I drove the automatic and it was not as much fun as a manual. At all. Oh and the new one was about $15000 so you should be able to find a used one in your price range without a problem.I looked at Hondas and Toyotas and found them to be expensive even used with high miles. You might also consider a Ford Taurus. Both my brother and sister have them and they run forever and have lots of trunk room. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"