August 2011 Moms
Options

breast refusal

My typically pleasant child has thrown me for a loop in the past couple of days and nursing sessions have become a nightmare. I can't figure out why she will latch on hungrily, then after a minute or two break off and scream, then rinse and repeat. Every time. She cries more than she nurses, and eventually I give up and feed her formula or pumped milk, which I've blown through my supply very quickly. I'm thinking it's been because I've been off for the holidays and she's used to getting a bottle all day? She's a little congested but not bad, and she doesn't do this when drinking from a bottle. Is it teething pain? Has any of this happened to you? TIA
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: breast refusal

• Options
    Sounds like teeth to me.
  • Options
    Max has been acting similarly the last couple of days but to a lesser degree- I think it is because we are at my inlaws so it's been a change in environment. However, he is also a bit congested and has been fighting sleep like mad (he is normally very pleasant and goes to sleep easily!). So I am not much help...but he has been taking the breast better today! Good luck! PS, love the Hanukkah onesie, Max has the same one!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Okay I feel so much better, this has been happening to me too! I find that I do have to anticipate more when she is hungry so she doesn't get to the point where she freaks out and is too upset to eat. It also helps for me to switch her to the other side. I think the stopping and changing sides for some reason really calms her down and she can usually eat really well. You might try changing sides or positions, but I agree that adding the bottle might not be a good idea because since it is easier to eat out of a bottle it might start a bad habit. I would just keep trying, I had it and just kept trying because she will not take a bottle so I had to work through it and now she is fine. Good luck!
  • Options

@homediva-->Thanks! I'm half-Jewish, and Christian by faith, so I get the pleasure of celebrating both!

I didn't think we were in a 4mw because she sleeps just as much as ever, but I'm sure that's very possible. Sleepwise, we seem to have skipped that altogether *crosses fingers* She will be 5 mos on Monday.

It also helps me to switch sides too, but only temporarily. When that doesn't work is when I usually get frustrated and try the bottle.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going through the same thing over here. I thought it had something to do with me being home all week too. I've been trying to EBF so I can get my supply up. One thing that I have found that helps is letting DS contort his way to which ever position he wants. This usually involves me lying back on a couple of pillows on my bed and DS laying belly to belly with me. He then latches on and turns his head to look from side to side. It's hell on my nipples but he's eating.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    My LO is doing the same thing lately. I wait for him to fall asleep then BF him. I talked with his ped and she said it's ok as long as he gets something during the day but if he goes for 8 hours with nothing or his diapers are dry, to call back. LO is starting to teeth also.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Owyn has been doing this for about two weeks now. I think it's either teeth or he just doesn't want to miss any of the new exciting things he can see. Possibly both. After a while he just realizes he's that hungry and then sucks everything out of both girls and finally has a nap. He may have realized that feeding makes him sleepy and just like naps doesn't want to miss anything....

Owyn Russell - August 10, 2011

Lily Ann - March 22, 2016
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"