June 2011 Moms
Options

S/O Vicks BabyRub

A couple of you mentioned putting it on their feet with socks at bedtime.  What's the reason for this?  As a kid, I remember my mom using Vicks on my chest, but I would never think to put it on their feet.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: S/O Vicks BabyRub

• Options

I have no idea but it really seemed to help.  I remember hearing about it a long time ago so when DS got sick, I googled it and a lot of people swore by it so we gave it a shot.  He was coughing much less last night than he has been today during the day (we have not reapplied) and he even slept in until 7:30 this morning which is 1.5 hours later than normal! 

I'm not sure how it helps, but we are going to continue it!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think it's so they can't get it on their hands and into their mouths. We put it on his feet and then on his belly with his pajamas over it. 
    DSC_0213 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageKYBABY2011:
    I think it's so they can't get it on their hands and into their mouths. We put it on his feet and then on his belly with his pajamas over it. 

Ok, that makes sense.  Thanks ladies!  I will definitely pick some up to have on hand for his next cold!

• Options
    According to the very light research that I've done on this, it's because for some reason they absorb the Vick's better through their feet.  I don't question it, I just know it works lol. 

DD born 6.13.11 at 37w5d

DS born 5.23.12 at 36w5d

BFP 6.9.13|heartbeat of 128bpm 7weeks|7.23.13 ultrasound revealed no heartbeat|natural m/c and d&c 7.25.13

DS born 5.20.14 at 38 weeks

All are welcome

• Options
    I believe it's an old wives tale. But I do it anyways!
  • Options
    imageKYBABY2011:
    . i don't know...i think plenty of adults do this too
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have to say, it definitely worked for us! I had been applying to his chest for a couple of days.... but then I applied to his feet one night as well and the next morning his nose was about 90% cleared out! I couldn't believe it! I'm definitely doing it from now on!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imageemilys629:
    I believe it's an old wives tale. But I do it anyways!

If you read up on vicks, it's actually nothing that passes into the body through the skin that helps. It's through breathing the vapours (hence the name VAPORub) that you get the relief.

Babies are short enough that putting it on their feet still means some of the vapours are close enough to give some help, but at the same time, you aren't putting camphor and eucalyptus oil on a larger, more sensitive patch of skin.

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"