Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

xp: swaddling and rolling over?

So our little guy has been sleeping through the night for months. He is in bed by 9pm and sleeps til about 830am (I know, amazing!). The key to this for us is swaddling. Ever since we started swaddling (and white noise) he has slept this well.Well, as he gets older we have noticed he is rolling back and forth to each side quite a bit, especially when he sleeps. He will only do it for a minute or so, and then go back to being still.  Well, last night at 5am he woke me up crying because he was on his tummy in the swaddle.Is swaddling him now unsafe? I have his 6 month appt next week so I'm going to talk to the dr but didn't know if anyone else was going through the same thing. Since he moves around a bit when he sleeps I feel like if we don't swaddle him he will not sleep through the night, and like I said, he didn't until we started the swaddle. Would just swaddling his arms and not his legs make a difference? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: xp: swaddling and rolling over?

• Options

I feel it's unsafe to swaddle once they can roll.  If you're going to swaddle, arms out would at least be safer.  If they have their arms in, they can't necessarily roll back, and can suffocate. 

It might be hard for a week or two, but I'm guessing he'll go back to sttn once he gets used to being unswaddled.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagekatlizabeth:

I feel it's unsafe to swaddle once they can roll.  If you're going to swaddle, arms out would at least be safer.  If they have their arms in, they can't necessarily roll back, and can suffocate. 

It might be hard for a week or two, but I'm guessing he'll go back to sttn once he gets used to being unswaddled.  

This. We stopped swaddling once he started to roll in his sleep.
    You can try it with arms out, it definately would be safer but it's probably best to break the swaddle soon anyway.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCourtneyRenee9109:
    imagekatlizabeth:

This. We stopped swaddling once he started to roll in his sleep.
    You can try it with arms out, it definately would be safer but it's probably best to break the swaddle soon anyway.

All of this.  It took DS a few nights to get used to not being swaddled, but it needed to be done.  Good luck to you!

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"