2nd Trimester
Options

Abnormal 13 week U/S - Heart Development

I just had my 13 week ultrasound, second screening for downs syndrome, and all the markers came back as negative - phew. The doctor did however say he was concerned that the heart looked abnormal b/c he didn't see the internal dividing line in the heart (septum). The heart rate was 161 which is good (although I was told that one doesn't have anything to do with the other). I know they don't usually do an anatomy scan until 18-20 weeks and was just wondering if anyone else has had this issue? I was told I could do a CVS, which I said no to, or wait for an amnio at 16 weeks to learn more. It's really scary and I don't know whether to be really concerned or if it's just a case of over-reacting. I have a doctor's appt. a week from today where we'll go over my results but was just wondering what experiences everyone has had. Thanks and Happy New Year!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Abnormal 13 week U/S - Heart Development

• Options
    He offered you a CVS but not a fetal echo to see the heart and it's function better?  I would head for a Level II u/s and maybe find an MFM (maternal fetal medicine doctor) to head to for a second opinion.  You could even head to a pediatric cardiologist for a second opinion.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options
    at my a/s scan they informed me that they couldn't see all the structures that they would like to see of the heart (this was at a maternal fetal doc)  I was then sent for a fetal ecocardiogram which the baby was not cooperating for so they couldn't get a good shot of the heart after 3.5 hours.  the following week I went back to MFM and they said that everything looks normal.  the situation is stressful, but don't worry until they tell you there is something to worry about.  I know easier said than done.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageToastieSimons:
    He offered you a CVS but not a fetal echo to see the heart and it's function better?  I would head for a Level II u/s and maybe find an MFM (maternal fetal medicine doctor) to head to for a second opinion.  You could even head to a pediatric cardiologist for a second opinion.

This. I am surprised they didn't schedule you for a level II u/s and fetal echo at 16 weeks. They should be able to see the heart clearly at that time. I would definitely get a second opinion if your current OB is not being pro-active.

FX that everything turns out to be ok.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thanks everyone. That's actually what I was thinking. My initial thought was why wouldn't you want to get a better picture (level II u/s) before you do anything more invasive? I also don't necessarily see the link between doing a CVS/Amnio and detecting a heart defect either, based on everything that I've read. This guy was a MFM doctor and was the biggest a-hole you would ever meet. His bed-side manner was about as warm as an ice cube. I will def. get a 2nd opinion before I do anything more radical. Thanks for the advice and positive thoughts!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

My NT scan and anatomy scan ( "level II") were done in my hospital's perinatal unit...using the same machine. It was explained to me that with the " Level II" the u/s machine is the same but because of the baby's size and develoment they can see more than at 12 week, and thereby get a accurate measurements. This u/s machine is way more advanced than the dating type u/s at my OBGYN office. If you were seeing a MFM I would just confirm with his office that that is the case with the facility they use as well. That might be why he didn't refer you to a " Level II".

If he's a jerk is there another doctor to can see within the same practice to go over this with you more? Did the doctor mention an atrial septal defect? If so, that is because it is a soft marker for genetic abnormality. I'm assuming that's why he suggested CVS.  Did you do the blood work screening along with the NT, as well? You can also do the Quad screen at 16w  to further get an idea of your ratios of there being an issue at all. Best wishes to you and hope you get some answers soon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My scan was also done at the hospital's perinatal unit. The MFM didn't mention anything specific that he thought was wrong except that "usually at this stage he could see the structure of the dividing muscle between the heart but he can't see it yet". He didn't mention anything specific to us. He only mentioned to my doctor's office that he didn't see the presence of the septum. I did the blood screen as well (6 drops of blood) but those results don't come in until Wed. I haven't spoke to my actual OB yet. I'll speak to her on Friday.I have a list of ques. to ask her. Thanks!
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"