February 2012 Moms
Options

Is anyone doing a drinking cut-off for DH/SO? (with ETA)

Since DH is the one who has to take me to the hospital, I am starting to seriously consider asking for a complete drinking cut-off once I get past 36 weeks.  It's not that he is sitting around getting drunk all the time, but I think I just want to feel secure knowing that he is going to be ready to drive me when I need to go and not worried about how many beers he had watching the game or during band practice.  It would be one less thing to have to worry about when the time actually comes, plus if anything urgent happened, I want to make sure we can go if we need to.  In my pregnant brain, this is completely reasonable right now.  Heck, we go 9 months without drinking, I think they can make it one month!  What are you other ladies thinking/doing?

ETA: I don't know if this makes a difference, since it seems most don't find this to be an issue, but my DH just got his license less than a month ago.  Maybe that is what is making me more anxious about any alcohol and driving.  Anyway... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

FACEBOOK FEB 12 BUMPIES ADMIN - POST & PM ME TO JOIN 

Re: Is anyone doing a drinking cut-off for DH/SO? (with ETA)

• Options
    I doubt I'll cut him off... he really doesn't go out much at all (we have a 2 yr old), and occasionally he'll kick back with a beer or 2 while he grills, etc. But I don't foresee it being a problem, really...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I think it is a reasonable request. I don't think it makes you his mother.  You will both be in this together for a very long time, and you have to make responsible decisions together.  My husband is unlikely to drink too much in the next few weeks, but I know he'd understand if I made the request.

In our house, the "Hey this baby could come any time" request has been to have his cell phone on him and CHARGED at all times - he has been known to have a dead cell phone for hours, and that just won't work for me! (or him, as I know he would be horrified to find out I had gone into labor and I couldn't reach him!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

We have already discussed this and he said he would go "dry" starting January 1st. I'm def not his mother and he is a responsible 41 year old, but I don't think there is anything wrong with having this discussion.

I have also talked to him about keeping his phone on. He was out hunting today and normally doesn't like to take his phone with him, but he assured me it was on vibrate and in a pocket where he could feel it.

• Options
    DH isn't cut off but he is now at a two drink limit. After 36I he won't drink. This is his doing not mine.
    Oct 2008 m/c #1 5 weeks, May 2009 m/c #2 4w5d. BFP 6/23/09 EDD 3/8/10!
    You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you stop to look fear in the face. -Eleanor Roosevelt
    After 1 year of TTC#2 BFP May 2011 m/c #3 4w2d. Off to RE.

Round 1: Femara + Ovidrel +TI = BFP! EDD 2/20/12
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    2IF does not always equal 3IF...Surprise!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    DH never drinks enough for it to be a concern. If we go anywhere, he'll only ever have about 1 or 2 beers in a 4-6 hour period. He's not a big drinker. So no, I won't be cutting him off. :)
  • Options

My SO isn't much of a drinker to begin with and laughed at his brother's girlfriend when she commented on how she was going to get him wasted at/after my baby shower. I'll be 36 weeks pregnant.

He lives out of state currently, LO and I will be moving there a couple months after she is born. Occasionally I freak out that he won't make it home in time to see her be born for whatever reason. I told him it was a concern I have and he reassured me it wouldn't happen. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I warned DH a while back that this was going to come up once my EDD gets closer (and I don't think it my request makes me like his mother). He has a commercial driver's license so his legal limit is half of what everyone else's is, so he has to be especially careful and he doesn't like to take ANY chances when it comes to drinking and driving. Should be a fun conversation :-/ 

<3 Rachel <3 
    BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    DH doesn't drink very much at all unless we are at a party together. He doesn't ever drink here at home. Mainly because he travels a lot for work so he socializes with clients. My concern is a bachelor party he will be attending the last weekend in January. I am so anxious because it is out of town. I am staying positive and hoping that baby doesn't decide to come that early, either way my mom will be staying with me just in case. DH already told me he won't drink to much that weekend in case he has to drive back here or jump on a plane. I honestly don't think it is something that we have to worry about.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My DH rarely drinks. When he does, it's never enough that I would be concerned about it (maybe a beer with dinner when my parents are over, for example), so no, I won't be requesting that he stop. He's responsible enough without me nagging him.
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • Options

My H drinks, so it's something I've mentioned for him to think about.  Just because he's not on the Bump all day where people come up with ideas like this :)  But I'm not making a plan with him.  

We also would like to labor at home as long as possible, so I'm sure if my water breaks, or if I start having real (not BH) contractions, if he had started drinking he would stop then.  Because of that it doesn't really concern me.  

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Options

Hubster has mentioned on his own that he would pretty much stop drinking when we reach a month before the due date. I'm glad that he brought it up, because I would have asked him otherwise. Even though we live only 5 minutes away from the hospital, the two roads we have to drive to get there are relatively rural, and deer run out all the time - we've been hit more than once in the last year. So, he knows he needs to me in top mental condition when the time comes.

Like other posters said, I don't think asking him to stop drinking is nagging him or being his mother - it's just asking him to be ready to be responsible when the time comes. It's the same level of responsibility that I've asked of him when I asked him to make sure that his cell phone is always charged and on him. 

• Options

I've noticed my DH is already cutting back on his own (he's a big drinker) which is awesome. a) because I didn't have to ask and b) he's showing some maturity. (i said "some"!)

my biggest concern is the cell phone being on... he's been known to be MIA before. Lately he's been very, very good about keeping it on. he's so excited about the baby coming... I think he'll be good.

• Options
    While many guys don't go out an drink, lets not forget that Super Bowl Sunday is in that time frame.  I don't know about your hubbies, but most men I know drink ALL DAY on Super Bowl, so that is something to keep in mind.
  • Options

DH doesn't drink much so I don't really need to have a talk with him but if I were you I would just say that after 37 weeks he shouldn't ever be drinking more than he would feel comfortable driving with.  (I would say 2 drinks but every man is different in size, my DH is 240 and can drink more than my friends DH who is 170)

And the responsible adult/ mothering comment... ouch, a little harsh!  Lot's of "responsible adults" drink enough to sink a ship at events when they know they have a dd built in with a pregnant wife.  

• Options
    God bless all of you who have responsible husbands who don't drink heavily/often. My DH didn't drink much until I found out I was pregnant and now it is the source of a huge fight at least twice a week. Tonight will be the 4th night IN A ROW that he has gotten drunk enough that it is a problem for me. I am either going to have to become his mother and demanda drinking cut off or arrange for someone else to be on standby to drive me to the hospital. I actually think, with all the problems it has caused and he thinks I am completely unreasonable, it would be perfect justice if his drinking made him miss the birth of his child (maybe it would wake him up). The nurses won't let him into the delivery room if he is intoxicated and he has become so selfish that I don't think he would hesitate to go to "Thirsty Thursdays" or any other drinking activities all the way up to 40weeks.
  • Options
    This isn't a concern of mine.  My DH rarely drinks.  In fact he's had a case of Hard Lemon aid in the Refrigerator since my niece graduated in early May 2010. 
  • Options

DH and I had probably our biggest fight 3 weeks before DS1 was born.  He was getting drunk 3-4 times a week.  I think that's excessive.  I told him I would NOT be put in a position of having to drive myself to the hospital b/c he was drunk.  It went on and on and we didn't speak for a solid day. 

This time he's said this is his last weekend.  He doesn't go out, he just sits at home and drinks.  He doesn't get sloppy but he's most definitely drunk and I wouldn't EVER feel safe with him driving.  

It's not like he can have one or two and quit.  It's nothing or it's 12.  If I see him pick up a beer after tonight, we'll be having that fight again, I just know it.  call me a controlling hag, I don't care!!

* DS1...allergic to dairy, peanuts, eggs and turkey *

love is for every her, love is for every him, love is for everyone
  • Options

kms34, I don't think you're controlling.. but if I were you I'd be worried and insisting on some sort of change/seeking of help on your DH's side... drinking at home alone is a big warning sign that alcohol has ceased being merely a drink and has become a problem. 

To the OP: My husband doesn't drink much, only the very occasional cider or single shot of scotch, so I don't really have this as a concern, but as others have mentioned, he WILL be getting his cell phone checked pretty often to make sure that it's got enough batteries. Then again... so will I, as I fail the 'live cell phone' requirement pretty frequently. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"