Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Need advice - late walkers

I don't post here very otter but need an advise from all of the mommas here. My son is almost 19 months and still doesn't walk or even have any interest in it. He gets PT twice a week for 7 months now, but each session is 30-40 min. And I feel like by the time he warms up it is over already. I don't know what else I can do. We practice walking with him every day, but he just won't do it by himself. Does anyone have any advices? It is so frustrating to watch him play with other kids especially younger than he, who can run already. His ped thinks we should just give him time, but I feel like he is 19 months old already and should walk by now.

Re: Need advice - late walkers

• Options
    It is EI and they make a decision how long the sessions should be. And yes we saw neurologists, ortho doctors, to check his feet and legs, and others and everyone tells us he is fine. He is big for his size, but I feel like he should walk already.
  • Options

DD2 was stubborn that way too. We qualified for EI for PT for her gross motor delay, but chose to go through our insurance instead. She finally started walking at 18 mos. Will he walk behind a walker? That is what seemed to motivate DD2. It was like she didn't know that she could even walk but once she learned to cruise and walk while pushing something on wheels, she loved it and from there started standing on her own, to taking a few steps, to walking. She is still behind her peers. She can't really run yet, but she is catching up and no longer needs PT. 

What kind of things can he do now? 

Good luck! I know how frustrating it is to see kids his age running around. He'll get there. My neighbor said she didn't walk until she was 2! 

Child #1: 6 yo DD Child #2: 2yo DD
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I don't really have advice; just reassurance.  My 1st DD didn't walk until 20 months old; and my cousin's daughter didn't walk until she was she was 2.5yrs!  So there are some really slow walkers out there w/o there being anything else wrong and they really do just need time.  

Is your pedi concerned?  In my DD's case and my cousin's DD, there was no other concerns - and neither had any PT. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

My kid is 17 months and doesn't walk. His teachers at daycare and we laugh because we all think he can walk and chooses not to.

If he's already in PT, what you "think" he "should" be doing is pretty irrelevant. He will walk, and you need to be patient. If folks around you are giving you a hard time, just brush it off and say, "Yeah, I'm going to be sooooo embarrassed if I have to send him off to college and he's still crawling across the quad to his classes."

• Options
    My parents tell me that I didn't walk until I was 20 months old.  Back then there wasn't early intervention and I was never treated or anything.  I just got up and walked one day and I was fine.  Some kids are just late.  It will happen soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My DD is a late walker too.  She is 19 months.  Started walking on Wed, and by Sat she stopped.  I'm so frustrated and disappointed I've been crying.  She hasn't qualified for EI and the dr isn't concerned.  She walks with her push toys and will walk holding on to my finger.  But now that I saw her walk for a couple of days I know she is fine.  Message me if you want to chat some more.  I know how you feel.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"