Stay at Home Moms
Options

just curious...

I've noticed in a few posts that a lot of you ladies work- P/T, WFH, self-employed, per diem, etc. yet you still consider yourself a "SAHM" (even though I know some dislike that term- you're posting here.)

Just curious if you post on the working moms board, too?  Or do you just feel like you identify yourself more with this group since you're not a "9-5er"?  Not being snarky at all- I think this is the best group on TB, so i'd stick around if I got a PT gig, too.

ETA: I guess what i'm asking is... are the terms SAHM and WM mutually exclusive? Are they opposites? Can you be both? WDYT?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: just curious...

• Options

I work part time. I consider myself a SAHM because I SAH while DH works.  DH takes care of DD while I work.  Plus I don't work very many hours and there are weeks where I don't work at all.  I think if I worked more hours and DD went to daycare M-F I might feel more like a WM.

Even if I went back to work FT I might stick around.  I like this board.  I know there have been a few that have gone back to work.  Personally I don't care if they post here.  I mean they did SAH and could have insight for other posters.  Or if others want to post because they are planning on SAH in the future and are looking for advice.  It's not like we sit around only talking about SAH exclusive topics.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i work 2 days a week.  My main job is taking care of my family and household.  I could never do all those tasks when I worked FT.  I also work for family so I can bring my kids if I really wanted to, but I choose to leave them home with DH.  Sort of a break for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I guess I would consider myself self-employed as we own the business but my hours are all over the place and pretty much when I chose.  Plus, there aren't a lot depending on what we have going on.  I do the daily invoicing when the trucks are running but that takes 10 minutes, if that.  I file the quarterly taxes and do payroll, those take longer.  So my primary job is that of a SAHM with a little bit of non-SAHM work mixed in.

ETA: I stick to this board.

DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I work a couple nights a week but dont post on the WM board. I guess I just relate to the women here bc I do spend the majority of my time as a "SAHM."
    someecards.com - I love the sound you make when you shut up. Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I started posting here when I strictly was a SAHM but then I got a part time seasonal (I might stay on, not sure yet) job. So you will catch me saying in posts that I have a part time job (because I do) but if someone were to ask me "what do you do" I would respond with "I am a SAHM". I only work 1-3 days a week with a maximum of 20 hours. I relate a lot more to SAHM because the majority of the household responsibilities and taking care of the children is my first (and most important) job. I have hopped over to the WM board to ask a couple of questions that pertained to working outside of the home but I have probably only been over there a handful of times. I consider this my home board, I love the ladies here. :)    
  • Options
    I don't work at all. However I do go to school part time to finish my degree.  If I worked 1-2 days a week I would still consider myself a SAHM.  I used to work 3-4 days a week and definetly considered myself a WM at that point.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I freelance for my old company on an occasional basis. When I'm on a contract with them, I average about 10-12 hours/week. When I'm not, I'm a FT SAHM.

I believe a few people have suggested having a WAHM board for those moms who are PT or have an in-home business, but it hasn't materialized.

Why would I dislike the term SAHM?

I don't post on the WM board. These days I'm not under a freelance contract, so there's really nothing I would discuss on the WM board.

I think you can be a SAHM who finds a way to either make $ or have a creative outlet without having a traditional 9-5 job. In that case you'd be in the "gray area" of a WAHM.

• Options

Up until last week I have been working 3 full days a week for the past 6 months and I honestly identified more with the posts on the WM board than I did with the ones on this board.  

The funny thing is that when I worked 2 days a week a couple of years ago it was the opposite- I still totally felt like a SAHM.  

::shrugs::  I really think it depends on the job, the commute, and what days/hours you work.  For me, more than 2 days a week (and a long commute on top of that) made me feel more like a WM.

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    I work three days a week and post on both boards.  When I first joined this board I was working 2 days a week and liked reading posts here about organizing your time, how to get things done with LO's around, etc.  I feel like I straddle both worlds so I straddle both boards as well. =). But I definitely post more on WM's.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    I post on both....but feel more at home here, since we don't have childcare and my hours are part-time.  My kids are usually with me while I'm working, but sometimes DH watches them (usually he does when I work in the evenings). 
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    I work on day a week and from home a few hours a week.  I am mostly home with DS.  I never thought to post on the WM board.
    April 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"