Breastfeeding

I don't get it! I'm failing!!!

I started leaking super early in my pregnancy. I didn't think breastfeeding would be easy but thought it would be more than possible. LO was born Tuesday night. Right away he seemed to be a natural BFer and he took in quite a bit of colustrum (yay!). Wednesday was nothing but struggles. He was drugged from his circumsion and didn't want to wake to eat. Thursday he latched well but never seemed to stay on and never seemed to be satisfied. On top of this the pain began. The lacation consultant said his latch looked great but it felt like razor blades to me. Today we went to the pedi. LO has lost 9% of his weight in the 3 days since he's been born. We're considering supplimenting-which upsets me. I decided to try and pump. I feel like I need to see I can produce. I've been trying to use a hand pump for about an hour and still haven't came up with any more than a few drops. I can feel my uterus contracting. Yet nothing seems to be coming out. I read and re-read the manual. I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I've been using my nipple cream. I hate it though. I've tried the medela and the lanolion (sp?). Both are so thick it hurts to spread on, even warm. And even though I've been using it I still find blood in my bra/on nursing pads and I'm still in pain. My lactation consultant only repeats what's in manuals. She hasn't been much help at all. Obviously I don't feel like my milk has came in yet. I hear it gets better when it does. I don't know how to cope until it does. Anyone have any thoughts/ideas what I'm doing wrong with my Medela Harmony had pump? Any advice in general?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I don't get it! I'm failing!!!

• Don't supplement and don't pump!!  It is very normal for a baby to lose that much weight at this point!  If LO has not regained by 2 weeks then MAYBE you might consider supplementing, but not now. You are fine. Everything you are going through is completely normal.

Find a different LC and/or a LLL group to help you with your latch. Otherwise just keep nursing your baby all the time!

www.kellymom.com has some helpful tips on latching issues as well. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I know it's frustrating but you are doing a great job! You are still so very early from delivery so your milk might not have come in yet. Just keep putting him to the boob. 9% really isn't that much body weight to lose and he should gain it right back once your milk comes in. I would advice against supplementing but I would seek an IBCLC certifies lactation consultant. Keep going to different consultants until you find one that works for you. 

Hang in there, I promise what you are going through is completely normal. Keep the baby on the boob and it will work out in the end! 

• Loading the player...
  • imagepepomntpat:

Don't supplement and don't pump!!  It is very normal for a baby to lose that much weight at this point!  If LO has not regained by 2 weeks then MAYBE you might consider supplementing, but not now. You are fine. Everything you are going through is completely normal.

Find a different LC and/or a LLL group to help you with your latch. Otherwise just keep nursing your baby all the time!

www.kellymom.com has some helpful tips on latching issues as well. 

This this this!

Do not supplement and do not pump. What you are feeling is completely normal. If your latch is good, then your milk will come in. Mine didn't come in for 4-5 days and I thought my LO was going to starve, but I kept at it and he got plenty of colostrum. He lost 10% of his body weight, which is completely normal. Hang in there - the first two weeks are, by far, the hardest. Just keep nursing as much as you can. It will probably feel like needles when he first latches on and then start to feel better as he continues. Pumping will just make you way more sore. And supplementing will kill your supply.

Good luck.

• It's only been 3 days so there is a good chance your milk isn't in.  DD lost 11 percent of her weight in the hospital and my milk had come in, talk about feeling like a failure.  Had the pedi suggested supplementing?  If not, I wouldn't worry.  Not once did our pedi suggest supplementing and we dealt with jaundice and a large weight loss.  Also, if you aren't happy with your LC, find a new one or contact someone at LLL.  I emailed someone there a few days ago when I was feeling really bad about how things are going just for support and a second opinion.  They are more than happy to help in any way they can.

I'm no success story yet, but hang in there if it's what you really want to do.  We still don't have the total hang of things, but each week it gets better.  With ds I'd given up by day 5, so at this point I've made it almost a month longer.  There are still days I feel like a basket case, usually late in the evening/night when I've had a rough day with dd and ds all alone.  Then I wake up the next morning and feel much better.  Take a deep breath.  I know it's hard.

• Your milk probably isn't in yet, so you're not going to get much out of your pump.

But get a better pump!  That one is going to drive you mad.  Obama made them tax deductible.  You should really get the best one you can afford.

About his latch: are you sure it's the best it can be?  Try looking at the videos on this site (https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=videos) and doing some comparisons and some small adjustments here and there.  Try some different positions.  Also--and this is very important--get your LO thoroughly checked out for tongue tie. Even if it's a small tie, it can make his latch look fine but you miserable and you should insist on getting it snipped.

Lastly, depending on whether you had an IV at the hospital, birth weights can be pretty massively overinflated, so you should go by the number of wet and poopy diapers you're seeing as your indication of how much your LO is taking in.  It's still pretty early to need supplementation too since babies are born ready to have just colostrum for the first few days.  Just don't let the drowsy guy sleep longer than 3 hours between feedings.

You're already doing a great job.  Try to relax. 

• I don't have too much advice to add other than finding a LC outside the hospital may be a good idea.  The ones I had in the hospital gave me nothing but bad advice.  We were a mess and I felt a lot like your post.  After meeting with another LC, suggested to me by our pedi, we got on track.  It was really hard for us at first, and I thought we were going to fail, but now we're at 4 months and she is doing great!  We even overcame some tongue tie.  You can do it!!!!  The advice from PPs is great -- stop pumping and just keep that baby on your breast as much as you can!  GL!!!!!!
  • Ditto what everyone else said.  I just wanted to add that my milk came in on Day Six, which is totally normal.  

Also, I like Earth Mama Angel Baby Nipple Butter, it's made of olive oil and goes on so much nicer than the other nipple creams.  

Good luck, you're doing great! 

• Pumping is mental - the more you freak out about pumping milk the less you will get...given that you are 3 days in unless your breast feel full your milk is not in...YOU WILL KNOW as it comes in with a force! In the meantime keep nursing! My milk came in 48 hrs after delivery but DD2 was on my boob every 2 hrs if not more until then. Do not supplement! I did that with DD1 - my supply tanked and we never established a proper latch as she was hooked on the bottle. If you can't help yourself feed him with a cup.

Pain - you will be in discomfort when he latches for a few seconds for about 6 weeks and then it magically goes away...but it used to make my toes curl...so I head you there...not much you can do other than suck it up :(

• You aren't failing at all, it sounds like everything is right on.  Your milk doesn't sound like it has come in yet, but don't worry, it will, DON'T supplement!!  My LO lost 10% of his body weight before my milk came in, he was born at 8lbs 12 oz and went down to 7lbs 14 oz....and then my milk came in.  The first day he gained 5 oz, and 8 days later he has gained 1lb 6oz!  You absolutely need not be concerned about the weight loss, it will get better when your milk comes in!  Just keep feeding him as much as possible.

As far as the razor blades, I totally feel you there too.  His latch is perfect and yet it feels like he's slicing open my nipples.  It's already getting better at 10 days though, and I know it will get better with time.  You can try a nipple shield (Didn't help me) and spreading your breastmilk on them after he feeds and them leaving them exposed to the air for 15 minutes.  That helps me a lot.

Good luck, don't worry too much, you're right on track!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"