January 2012 Moms
Options

Interesting appointment today

So first off, I was swabbed today which was very uncomfortable for me. It was worse than a pap. 

Then the doctor measured my tummy and says "uh oh". Just what I wanted to hear. She then says, "oh no, this baby is BIG! We are going to have to do an ultrasound" I have measured on track all pregnancy and I think she was just in a weird position this morning. Baby is still not head down, but the doctor didn't seem in any rush about that. (honestly, I am kind of happy we get to see her again, and double check that she really is a girl!)

Then she goes on to ask about BC after baby. I told her we will continue to use condoms as we did before.( I forgot to mention that we also used the rhythm/basal body method) She looked at me and said "condoms don't work" then told me all my other options. She said "do some research and then tell me what you want next week, because condoms are not going to work" Then she left. This was not my favorite visit by far! Ugh. I have done the research and natural family planning is the only method I am comfortable with. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Interesting appointment today

• Options

If baby is still breech that can impact fundal heigth but I wouldn't mind a 3rd US either just to see LO so I get ya.

As for your docs speech about BC, it was rather unprofessional of her to push you, although perhaps if you had mention the rhythym method she might have been less concerned, but even if you chose to leave it to fate its really not her palce to push you otherwise...unless there are significant medical concerns about you getting PG too quickly again...very strange on her part

• Options

OK your doc is NUTS!  Condoms to do work, its user error that results in PG and STD's.  So use them right (add spermicide if you want) and I wouldn't be too concerned about it.  I don't think she had any right to tell you they don't work, because they do, you just have to be more careful that's all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageDawn7233:

OK your doc is NUTS!  Condoms to do work, its user error that results in PG and STD's.  So use them right (add spermicide if you want) and I wouldn't be too concerned about it.  I don't think she had any right to tell you they don't work, because they do, you just have to be more careful that's all.

THIS. The only form of hormonal BC that I'm comfortable using is NuvaRing, and BF'ing in conjunction isn't recommended. Not comfortable with the idea of an IUD, either, so condoms are what we're going for.

I also agree that it was unprofessional of your OB to tell you that "condoms don't work." Wow.

• Options
    imageagreg521:
    imageDawn7233:

THIS. The only form of hormonal BC that I'm comfortable using is NuvaRing, and BF'ing in conjunction isn't recommended. Not comfortable with the idea of an IUD, either, so condoms are what we're going for.

I also agree that it was unprofessional of your OB to tell you that "condoms don't work." Wow.

I know it's still kind of an IUD, but I've been looking into the copper one that has no hormones in it (because I hate using condoms, so does FI, AND I plan of BF).  I plan on talking to my MW about it, but it's another non-hormonal option for you.

Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageDawn7233:
    imageagreg521:
    imageDawn7233:

I know it's still kind of an IUD, but I've been looking into the copper one that has no hormones in it (because I hate using condoms, so does FI, AND I plan of BF).  I plan on talking to my MW about it, but it's another non-hormonal option for you.

Thanks! I'll have to look into it.

• Options

If condoms didn't work, I'd be Michelle Dugger by now. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSmittyPants:

LMAO.

• Options
    Condoms don't work?! Is she off her nut? I measured big at my last appt (3 weeks) but was apparently having a contraction and then at my appt yesterday was right where I was supposed to be.  Yay for another ultrasound though :) Can't ever have too many of those.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageSmittyPants:

HAHAHA! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options

mine is trying to push for contraception too....which i understand but i will call you when i am ready....she keeps trying to push for an IUD...which isnt going to happen. 

condoms for us.

DC:#1 10/2006 born at 40 weeks (33 weeks PTL)
    DC#2 born silent at 22 weeks 1.11.11
    Dc#3 born vbac 1/2012 <bra DC#4 born VBAC 3/2014
  • Options
    My dr asked me the same birth control question at my appointment yesterday. They must use the same checklist:) I think they far too frequently see women that get pregnant 3 mos after they deliver because of the misconception that breastfeeding is a natural bc method. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"