Austin Babies

camping tips for little ones and toddlers?

we have been toying with the idea of camping within the next few weeks and think tomorrow night might be the perfect night for it (if ruby's cough stays away tonight). any tips for having the little ones out there? we normally cosleep, so it wont be weird to sleep together and i know how to safely. we have a four person tent and sleeping bags. anything other than the regular camping supplies that we would need?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: camping tips for little ones and toddlers?

• is no one replying b/c we're crazy to attempt this with the girls :) someone please tell me no. 
  • I think it's awesome. We haven't been brave enough to attempt it yet, but we don't bedshare, so the logistics are more complicated. Or maybe we're just chicken. I can't wait to take the kids camping!

I think you might still want to bring a pack-and-play along, if for nothing other than a clean place for you to put DD2 to lay and play for a while. 

Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Loading the player...
  • We wanted to go camping when we were in Texas, but it was always so flipping hot.

We have a tent, and sleeping bags and a self inflating air mattress for the munchkin. We were going to bring a pnp when he was little, for a place off the ground to play and contained place for a nap.

I don't think we were going to bring a ton of stuff for the kiddo, just the becco (what we had at the time) for babywearing and plenty of wash cloths for cleaning up w/out leaving 50 million wipes. 

Just bring some out door toys and her bike and Ruby will be set :) 

We hope to go this year sometime so you can give us tips after you go :)

• It will be great! Outdoor toys, such as a bike and magnifying glasses are great.  You might want a toddler potty, if you think Ruby will be more comfortable that way.

Mosquitos shouldn't be out this time of year, but we always take a repellent of some kind.  OFF has a nice clip on thing that you can put on the tent or pnp if you decide to take one. 

Bring a radio- camping dance parties are the best kind :)

• I have friends that camp all the time with their kid. They take a pack and play and have a multi-room tent as they don't co-sleep. We're planning on trying it in the next couple of months as well!
  • I'll say it, I think you're cray cray Big Smile

But then my general idea of camping includes a climate controlled cabin anyway. I've tried real camping and I didn't like it one bit. Waking up with an ice cold noggin gives me a headache which is a poor way to start the day.

Depending on where you are planning to go, NYE may not be the best time to go. People will be up partying and making noise, possibly blowing off fireworks (legally or not) and just generally being drunken idiots.

My only rec was definitely going to be for the toddler potty. Nobody likes going to the community potty in the dark and I imagine it would be especially frustrating with a little one at 3 am!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yeah, I go with the "your a little nutso" crowd, especially on new years eve with a bunch of drunken debauchery happening. With that said, I am insanely jelous that you have the balls to do it. In fact, if all goes well, we might invite ourselves with you next time. :)

Ditto the toddler potty and maybe a toddler size camping chair for her to sit in. Other than that, some buckets or a net to go exploring in a creek or collect stuff in the woods.  

• I think it's great, I just wouldn't go tomorrow night.  We've taken our kids camping several times, the first time being when DS was 2 months old.  Since he was so young, we also took the swing, pnp, carrier and stroller.  When he/they weren't as tiny, we'd still take the pnp, ergo and the activity saucer/jumperoo thing.  We co-slept as well, but the pnp was nice to have for naps and for playtime.  And later, the potty.  It will probably feel like you're bringing your whole house along, with all of the baby gear, but it's totally doable and fun.  FWIW, we took all that crap with us most of the time to stay in hotels, too.  You don't NEED it all, but it makes things more enjoyable for everyone involved.  One baby = a whole minivan full of stuff.

Crazy would be to go camping when it's hot!

• thank you for all of the good replies. we decided not to go tonight b/c of the holiday and b/c of the cold front that is expected in the wee hours of the morning. but i'm totally bookmarking the thread b/c we are going the first weekend that the weather cooperates. i'll post an update and pics once we do. 

ec3under4, i'm totally going to plan a big camping trip for all of us in the spring :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"