Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Does your kid leave the park, etc when you ask?

My DD would not leave the park today for anything! I bribed with chicken nuggets for lunch, then threatened a time out at home, then said we will not come back if she doesn't leave when I ask. We were there an hour and a half and I have an 8 mo old and needed to leave but since I was holding the baby I couldn't pick her up to leave. Finally the boy she was playing with's dad said "we are leaving soon too, can you say goodbye" and she said goodbye and left. It was embarrassing that I couldn't get her to leave. Anyone else have this problem? Any tips?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Does your kid leave the park, etc when you ask?

• Options

Just pick her up and leave.  We've had to do that before when she wouldn't leave willingly.  Yes, we got some looks for trying to carry away a kicking and screaming toddler, but what parent hasn't been in that position before?

We always give her two warnings when we're getting ready to go.  First we give her a 5 minute warning "5 more minutes and then we have to go".  Then right before we leave, we let her pick one last thing to do.  "Ok, pick one last thing you want to do then we have to go!"  Then she gets to pick one more thing...one more slide, one more see-saw, one more swing, etc.  Typically after those 2 warnings she'll leave on her own.  If she doesn't, we just pick her up and go.

ETA: Sorry, I just reread and saw that you had the LO with you so you couldn't pick her up.  In that case, I would've said, "Ok, DS and I are going home.  We'll see you later!"  And started walking away.  This always gets DD and she comes running after us.

• Options

6 & 4 year old- yes.  2 year old- not without a fight even if I pick him up and just leave!

eta:  I love slings for this reason...it allowed me to still have 2 hands for my older child. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ditto the 5 min warning and the 1 last thing - then we say goodbye to the playground or any friends we made.  If he won't leave I pick him up.  If you were parked close enough I would probably put the little one in the car and then pick her up and put her in.  If you walked that would be trickier - it would probably be awhile before I would go to the park again.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Pretty much what others said, time warning and then the whole- ok, you go down the slide one more time (or whatever) & then we go home. Mine area  little younger than yours (29 months) but it seems to work for now, even when DS is totally obsessed w/ the train table at barnes & noble! (you can take your train up the bridge & through the tunnel & then we leave)... 

Just a side note on the time out, I think a 'time out when we get home' is a little delayed, it should be right after the behavior/tantrum/whatever or the connection won't be made. I wouldn't threaten it unless you're ready to use it in public. I have put my kids on park benches/curbs/random spots when out in public if needed... just a thought. 

• Options

I remind her that we have to leave BEFORE we go and then give her a few warnings - few more minutes, 2 more minutes, one more minute, etc. sometimes she "bargains" for "lots more minutes" - which is fine, whatever.  And, then - do you want to slide/swing one more time, etc. and then go.  If she starts getting ridiculous, I'll just start packing up and walk towards the car, but it rarely reaches that point.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I remind her that we have to leave BEFORE we go and then give her a few warnings - few more minutes, 2 more minutes, one more minute, etc. sometimes she "bargains" for "lots more minutes" - which is fine, whatever.  And, then - do you want to slide/swing one more time, etc. and then go.  If she starts getting ridiculous, I'll just start packing up and walk towards the car, but it rarely reaches that point.

This is what we do as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Dylan yes, the other two - not always.  I have had some ugly moments with my older one abotu leaving places.
  • Options
    Can you carry her even with your other LO? There have been times when I have carried both of mine with one kicking and screaming. We have our own issues, don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine staying for a prolonged period of time bargaining. I agree with giving her notice but then when it is time to go I'd just figure out a way to pick her up and leave. If you are unable to carry both I would sit her down and not let her play. Just say you either sit here on this bench/side walk/wherever not fun until you are ready to walk to the car. 
  • Options
    LO has protested leaving places before.  So what I will do is tell him "In 5 minutes, we are going to go home and play with your trains".  That way he has something to look forward to and a warning. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with PP- I give warnings that it's about time to leave. I also start talking about what we have to do- eat lunch, play with toys at home, etc. Usually this works and DS will take my hand to leave while I'm still distracting him with the next thing for us to do. I also tell him to say "bye-bye, park" or bye bye to wherever we are. He loves to say it so, surprisingly, it works. If it doesn't work I take his hand and drag him out or pick him up. I also have DD with me but if I have to I can pick both of them up and leave. The point is, DS doesn't have a choice. 
  • Options
    DD gets a "we're leaving in 5 mins" warning, then after 5 mins I say "ok go down the slide one more time." Then if she starts to put up a fight I very quickly change the subject like telling her we'll play "I spy" on the way home or tell her to say good-bye to the turtle statue at the entrance to the park. 98% of the time it works. When it doesn't work I either A. Pick her up and carry her out. Or B. Walk away (but not too far) most of the time she'll get upset that I'm leaving w/o her and come running.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"