Blended Families
Options

Angry phone call from BM

I go for an afternoon run daily and today DH is in a class so SS went with me. I shortened the length of the run since he was wih me and didn't run as intensely as I usually do. When we returned I noticed a missed call from BM do I responded with a text saying we had returned from a run and that once SS was done showering he would call her. She then called and went off on me

. Am I out of line to take SS on a run with me on anyones standards? FTR we sprinted one streetlight  length and walked to the next light. He plays soccer and baseball so I can't imagine I had him do anything excruciating.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Angry phone call from BM

• Options

How old is he?  If he plays soccer, he does a fair amount of running each game.  I don't think you did anything wrong, but I wouldn't push the issue with BM.  Just listen.  "Good point, I'll think about it."

DH should handle any more issues with her, I'd think.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    imageJ&A2008:

How old is he?  If he plays soccer, he does a fair amount of running each game.  I don't think you did anything wrong, but I wouldn't push the issue with BM.  Just listen.  "Good point, I'll think about it."

DH should handle any more issues with her, I'd think.

SS will be 8 next week. I am not even going to entertain her but I do find her outburst funny since SS is already asking me to go again tomorrow.

DH typically handles her issues but he was in a class so SS was with me.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

i completely agree.

smile and nod, and let DH handle her haha

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I see both sides here. I am not sure that running as a sport is ok for a growing 8 year old.
  • Options

You did nothing wrong. Kids don't get enough exercise and if you toned it down to his age level and did not push him and he wants to do it again - then it's perfectly fine.

What would have been inappropriate is if you went to run and left him home alone.

Tell DH when he gets home and let him handle it.

It sounds to me she goes off on you about every little thing.  You should have a standard, calm response for her to let her know you hear what she's saying and that DH will discuss with her. 

• Options
    What?! I thought she was yelling at you that you missed her call until people started weighing in on the running. I would say "ok you're the mom" and hand the phone to ss so his mom can explain why she is not allowing him to run (?!)
  • Options
    Funny... I thought that physical activity/exercise was a good thing for growing children? Especially if they think its fun?  I'm guessing you didn't do a 10 mile forced march with him, since he is talking about going with you again.
    TTC#1 since Mar 2008. Serious MFI due to cancer. 3 cancelled IUI's, just about every test in the book. IVF#1 - BFP! Twin girls arrived 2/5/10 at 35w2d. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagexmaryrickx:
    I see both sides here. I am not sure that running as a sport is ok for a growing 8 year old.

I ran cross country/track starting at this age and loved it. He's fine as long as he's getting enough good calories in daily to keep up with his growing body. Don't pay her any attention and just let DH address her.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagedulcinea03:
    Funny... I thought that physical activity/exercise was a good thing for growing children? Especially if they think its fun?  I'm guessing you didn't do a 10 mile forced march with him, since he is talking about going with you again.

I agree with this.  We need children to get more excited about exercise.  My step daughters have come on "runs" with me and they are 7 and 6.  Do I run anywhere near where I usually do when they are with me?  Absolutely not.  We go by what pace and distance works for them.  I'm blown away that anyone would find an issue with you encouraging physical activity in an 8 year old. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

While you are out take my 4yr old and wear him out!!!

Maybe she thinks you are making him do a 10 K?? I would follow other posters advice and just let your dh handle it. This is probably a loss of control issue.

• Options

imageNineoceans:
    What?! I thought she was yelling at you that you missed her call until people started weighing in on the running. I would say "ok you're the mom" and hand the phone to ss so his mom can explain why she is not allowing him to run (?!)

The only thing I have a problem with in this suggestion is that would  give her control on what happens in our home. She already has control issues and is demanding DH sign a stipulation to the CO saying SS must spend all time during visitation with Him and him alone. Aka no time with me the SM. 

• Options

imagedulcinea03:

The only guess I have is that she thinks bc of my military status that I may have,what we call, "smoked"him (worked him to exhaustion).  In reality I made it a fun race type of situation. Oh and we both had water bottles. 

• Options
    imagekarleegirl:

While you are out take my 4yr old and wear him out!!!

Maybe she thinks you are making him do a 10 K?? I would follow other posters advice and just let your dh handle it. This is probably a loss of control issue.

I agree with the control statement.

And I think I would have a ton of fun with your four yr old :) 

• Options

SD and I go out to the track at the park every other day we walk and run and race and have a great time.  We stay out for around a half an hour and she is healthy and I am healthy and we are looking forward to taking little brother too!!

Activity for a child is great, Let DH deal with BM running isn't a problem for a 7 year old, they do it in gym class right? 

• Options
    I wouldn't return her phone call.  Tell your H what happened and ask if he is ok with it.  Then tell him it's his job to deal with his ex in this matter. 
    image "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.
  • Options
    My ds is 5 and wanted to join the running club at his elementary school this year. It meets on Fridays and we do laps (parents and kids) at our own pace for 20-25 minutes after a group stretch led by a teacher who is a runner. In that 20-25 minutes, my 5 year old runs about 1.25 - 1.5 miles. And he wants to do more. Many kids start cross country in late elementary school, so given that and the fact that my 5 year old chooses to run as exercise regularly, I don't see anything wrong with it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"