Pregnant after 35

Hi there intro and screening after NT question

Hi Ladies-

I hope you are all having beautiful pregnancies and smooth sailing into the second trimester.  I wanted to introduce myself - I'm due July 8, 2012.  First time pregnant, just got married in early October.  We stopped trying to prevent 1.5 years ago, but I have PCOS, and I'm 36, so were surprised that I got pregnant right after the wedding!  I've had weekly acupuncture treatments and no morning sickness or other issues beyond being exhausted and crying at the drop of a hat.

Just had the NT scan - good scan results (1.3mm nuchal fold) but wonky bloods, so I ended up with just the same risk as for my age (1:200 DS).  I'm thinking amnio instead of CVS - the amnio risks at the perinatal diagnostic center near me are much lower than my DS risk.  Hubby is of the mind that everything is fine and we shouldn't worry - but I'm just not the person that can leave that hanging out there.  Doc says the results are just "ok" - but doesn't provide much recommendation either way.  Your thoughts appreciated!

Also in July 2012 board. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hi there intro and screening after NT question

• Welcome!  There are several ladies who have done either cvs or amnio, so I'll let them speak to that issue, but in general, I think you have to do what is going to make you feel secure and be able to enjoy your pregnancy. 

I honestly don't know what I would have done if the results came in around 1:200.  When you put that as a percentage, it's only a .5% chance of down's and a 99.5% chance of not having it.  I think I might have waited until the Quad Screen to see how that came out, then make the decision about amnio, but again, I wasn't in that position so I don't know for sure.  Some people feel like they need to know 100% one way or the other in order to be able to relax and enjoy their pregnancies, so amnio is a good option if you fall into that category.

Good luck with whatever you decide. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Many congrats on your pregnancy! I am currently struggling with deciding to go with a CVS even though I used a 27-year-old egg donor (i.e., I could just have the NT scan and it would *probably* be fine).  I am absolutely terrified of even the remotest possibilty of DS, so I can tell you that if I got results like you just did, and if my doctor was saying the result was only "ok," I would pushing for the CVS and not even waiting for the amnio, if that was still possible.  But that's in part because I would terminate if DS turned up, and you may feel differently.  No matter what, though, I would get the further testing so you can be prepared if it's not good news -- but I hope that it is.  Seems to me that if the amnio risk is lower than the risk of DS, it's a no-brainer.  But I know others will probably feel differently.

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you!  We are excited, overall.  I'm cautiously optimistic, and my husband doesn't want to think about anything going wrong.  FWIW, I would also terminate, and my worry with the CVS is that I understand it doesn't detect neural tube defects like spina bifida, which the amnio does.  I'm also a bit paranoid because my sister (who also had her first pregnancy after 35) had a clear NT, didn't cvs/amnio, and detected abnormalities at a later US, had to rush to amnio, detected a trisomy incompatible with life, and had a second tri termination right before the cut off. This was before the safest for the mother to preserve fertility procedure was banned in her state, and the ban was upheld by SCOTUS, though.  Now, the later it goes the riskier it is for future fertility.  I understand going with the CVS and getting early reassurance, nonetheless.

My next appt with doc is 1/6, and I'm in my twelfth week.  He did say he'd order a CVS if I wanted it, but I think I'm going to get the 2nd trimester bloodwork, and have an amnio scheduled for week 15.  

That being said - I saw your numbers on your post - I think you have to do what you can to reassure yourself and be able to focus on your pregnancy.  Best of wishes your way for good results. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First, congrats, and welcome!

If you're considering termination, you should check your state's laws regarding elective termination. While terminating for Tri 13 and 18 are considered therapudic, Down's and spina bifida may be considered elective. In Texas, it's 18w, so amnio cuts it really close. CVS cannot test for spina bifida.

I skipped all screening and went for the amnio. It was done at 15w, the earliest it can be done. Everything came back clear. I love knowing 99.9% that everything is ok. It was a scary and uncomfortable procedure, and the wait was killer! But...I had "false"(Doctor's use this phrase for some reason) positive results with DD, and it was a lot harder to wait the two weeks for those results, then two more for a level two ultra sound. This time, it was easier to say: amnio.

Whatever choice you make will be the right one for you. GL! Keep us posted! 

• First of all, Congrats!

I was 34.9 with #1, my risk did not change after screening and I did not pursue amnio or CVS.  I regretted it for my entire pregnancy because I was so stressed out.  She is now a healthy 21 month old.

I am pregnant with #2, and will be 37 when I deliver.  I went straight to the amnio (which was not bad at all!), done at 15+ weeks and received my results in under 2 weeks.  Baby is fine, I am relieved.  FWIW I also would have terminated (others can judge away). 

• imagectsportsfan23:

First of all, Congrats!

I was 34.9 with #1, my risk did not change after screening and I did not pursue amnio or CVS.  I regretted it for my entire pregnancy because I was so stressed out.  She is now a healthy 21 month old.

I am pregnant with #2, and will be 37 when I deliver.  I went straight to the amnio (which was not bad at all!), done at 15+ weeks and received my results in under 2 weeks.  Baby is fine, I am relieved.  FWIW I also would have terminated (others can judge away). 

Something I've never understood is judging others for making an incredibily difficult decision. I wouldn't have terminated for Down's, but I would have for spina bifida. And, unless I'm in that situation, I'll never know what I would do Tri 13 and Tri 18, knowing your child will die shortly after birth.

• Very late on this post, but I did have bad blood work too.  Took the Maternity21 test and turned out ok.  18 week sono agreed that baby looked good.  While I don't know if we would have terminated or not...for those that are scared of spina bifida, my cousins daughter was born with it and while she may have a few health problems (like having a colostomy (sic) bag maybe she's in diapers now) it wasn't terminal.  She's an adorable child.  I'm not judging anyone for doing what they deem necessary, but didn't want those reading to think all these problems are death sentences for children.

Good luck with whatever you decide and good luck with the results!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"