Health & Exercise

Just starting out

Okay, so I'm gaining too much already and really don't need to gain anything else that isn't baby related. So can anyone rec a moderate workout that I can do daily to burn up the calories that are not aiding in baby production? I have a fitness flyer walking machine and some 3lbs weights? Maybe 3 10 minute walks and some arm reps? I'm really overweight and don't really need to gain much for a healthy pregnancy anyway.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just starting out

• Depending on your medical history and pre-pregnancy activity level, its perfectly fine to workout while pregnant and in many cases keep your current routine with few modifications. The only thing you have to watch out for is your heart rate. (I forget what you have to keep it below while pregnant. But I'm sure you can check with your Dr.).

If you weren't very active pre pregnancy, now isn't the time to begin training for a marathon or anything like that, as your body isn't used to the stress and is already working so hard. If that's the case there are plenty of maternity workout programs that are low impact, like yoga and swimming. And of course, there's always walking. You can probably google Maternity workouts and find a ton of reputable suggestions.

• I agree if you weren't actiev before I wouldn't try much more than walking/yoga/water exercises.  That said, it might be beneficial to make sure you aren't eating more or less than you need at various stages of pregnancy...something like sparkpeople or caloriecount.about.com have calculators that take your size, activity level and stage of pregnancy into account and help you figure out how much you really need to be eating.  I know I overate in the 1st tri-you really don't need much extra then but I was trying to cram enough nutrients and calories in and gained a little more than I needed to.  Bear in mind, hormones and such can cause water gain etc and while none of us want to gain more than is safe...the guidelines are just guidelines, if you eat healthy and walk, you should gain what you need, whether it meets the charts online or not.  I was thin and active prior to pregnancy doc said to gain 30 I'm at 41 and counting.  Clearly  its what my body needs to do-I'm still very active and eat healthy and that's just how I am gaining
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"