Preemies
Options

any experience with immature retinas?

Baby Caroline had her eye exam this morning and they diagnosed her with immature retinas. They said this is not ROP, but that it could develop into ROP so they will continue to watch it weekly. Anyone have any experience in this?
Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: any experience with immature retinas?

• Options

We were also told that our LO's retrinas were immature at her first eye exam but it was expected because she was only 32 weeks GA.  They have continued to mature a little with each exam (every 2 weeks) and at her exam last week they said they are 'nearly' mature.

They also continued to check for ROP because it can develop as her retinas are maturing but luckily she never showed any indication. We have one more exam and they anticipate at that point her retinas will be fully mature!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD's neo told me this is pretty standard for early preemies. She's tested weekly as well and will be until around 42ish weeks gestational age.

no ROP is GREAT news. That should make you very happy! :)

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It does! I was just wondering how often immature retinas can turn INTO retinopathy, ya know? Didn't want to get my hopes up too far! :)  Thanks ladies!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

I can't tell how old she is now, Gestionally (can't do the math from your ticker...sorry!)  I think my son had his checked from 30 or 32 weeks on.  The first week or two they were stage 1, and then progressed to stage 2 and then 3 over the next several weeks.  He did have surgery, right around 36 weeks.  I know plenty of other babies who never progressed into ROP, or if it did only to stage 1 or 2, no surgery necessary.  The chances increase the longer/more oxygen support LO was on - but as you know, each preemie is different so there is just no telling.

I'll keep hoping for no ROP for her as the weeks go on.  And, even if it does progress to ROP, many many babies resolve it without any intervention.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The retina isn't supposed to be mature until a baby is past their due date. As it matures the blood vessels grow across it. ROP is when the vessels grow abnormally and cause vision problems. So until the retina is mature and the vessels are done growing they can't say for sure that there won't be ROP. Does that help? Basically what they said about your LO would be a normal finding and the screening for ROP needs to continue until close to their due date.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options
    Yep - that was the case with Andrew's first 2 exams, 3rd showing they were fully-developed and normal.  GL!
  • Options
    My boys had immature eye exams starting at 32 weeks (I think they checked about every 2 weeks).  On there final exam at 39 weeks after they were discharged home, it was mature and no ROP.  I think there is still a risk of ROP if the exam isn't mature yet, but it doesn't neccessarily mean that ROP will occur.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"