Health & Exercise

rec your running schedule

When I googled I found a bunch. Are any better than others? I need to be able to run 5 mi by June, which I think is totally doable. I just need a plan to stick to, to make sure I'm consistent.

Re: rec your running schedule

• It is totally doable!

What days do you have available to run? How far can you comfortably run right now?

• I can run just over a mile right now. I can run almost any day of the week (I'm a WAHM) I am planning to try to fit it in right when DH gets home since I'm always working during DS's naps. I just need something that tells me how much to run each day and when to increase because I need a schedule to stick to or I'll be horrible at doing it often.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is similar to my running schedule when training. If you go to church Sunday mornings, shift everything back one day so you do your longest run Saturday morning. Actually, you can shift any of this forwards or backwards but since your runs will still be pretty short it shouldn't interfere with life too much. 22miles on Sundays kinda ruins any productivity the rest of the day.

S - Longest Run (1.5miles to start, increase .25 each week or so)

M - REST or cross train (yoga, pilates, weights, core...)

T - Short run .5-.75 miles

W - Longer run 1-1.25miles

TH - REST or cross train

F - .75-1miles

S - Rest of cross train

Each week increase your longest run .25miles to start with. If the distance feels really difficult that week, repeat it next week instead of increasing. At the beginning it's just about getting out there. Eventually you will increase distance significantly!

PM me if you have questions. Good luck!

• imageCARunner:

You can start with the Couch to 5k plan.  it is VERY popular and very effective.  That will get you to 3.1 miles, and then just build up to your 5 miles from there.  A good rule to preventing injury, is to never increase your mileage more than 10% at a time.

https://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

There is a link to a couch to 5k plan.  I dont know what your fitness level is currently at and how many miles you run now.  But this plan is great for beginners.

Agree with this.  The key is to start our slow as well and not progress to quickly to minimize the potential for injury.  You have PLENTY of time to get ready for your race in June.  Good luck!

• Thank you! Both of those running plans sound great! Starting tomorrow!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"