Health & Exercise

Running and Early Labor

Hi Ladies,

I forgot to ask this of my OB yesterday, so wanted to get your opinion.  This is my second pregnancy.  I jogged until 34 weeks with my first child and had him almost a week early.  I am now 36.5 weeks and was almost completely effaced yesterday (all happened in the last week) and the OB expects this child to be early, probably earlier than my first.  I am still jogging and it feels fine.  I'd planned to continue until the end.  Now, I am having second thoughts.  I don't mind the baby being a week early, but don't want to do anything that could progress things any faster and am wondering if the impact/pressure of my large belly when jogging could do just that.  We have a newly turned 2 year old boy to handle, and any extra time before this baby arrives is helpful!

Thoughts?  Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Running and Early Labor

• I've been on an inclined elliptical (bad knees and preggo hormones don't make jogging wise for me)  and am 75% 2cm at 36w I asked my OB if i could keep it up...after joking that I was her hero, she said its fine as long as I feel OK but that it could be what's moving things along at this pace (FTM here so she was surprised at my progress).  My plan is to keep it up but reduce the frequency to maybe only 3 times a week and bike or walk the others...just bc I want LO to at least hit the 37 w mark and I am having more contractions now
  • I would definitely call your OB and ask.  I was running quite a bit up until 34 weeks pregnant and felt great but my OB put me on bed rest because of premature labor.  She said that the running could definitely speed things up.  In my case that would have made the baby early, in your case you would be at least full term.  I'd say ask your ob for the ok.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I ran up until the day I was induced at 39 weeks, 3 days. At the time I was 0% effaced and had 0 dilation and the baby was still really high. (i was induced for possible pre-e) I don't think running has anything to do with preterm labor. In fact, when I wasn't making any progress late in the pregnancy I told my OB I thought the theory of exercising to induce labor was bunk. She agreed with me but said since no one really knows what initiates labor they can't really recommend anything and at least walking is safe and healthy for mom and baby.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageblu-eyedwife:
    I ran up until the day I was induced at 39 weeks, 3 days. At the time I was 0% effaced and had 0 dilation and the baby was still really high. (i was induced for possible pre-e) I don't think running has anything to do with preterm labor. In fact, when I wasn't making any progress late in the pregnancy I told my OB I thought the theory of exercising to induce labor was bunk. She agreed with me but said since no one really knows what initiates labor they can't really recommend anything and at least walking is safe and healthy for mom and baby.

Then why do people who are experiencing pre-term labor often get placed on bed rest?   It makes total sense that the movement can't help.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"