Natural Birth
Options

I want a Natural Birth, but I am scared...

So I just sat here writing a post for the last 30 minutes...then I accidentally went back a page, and now my post is gone. Kind of frustrating. SO in a nutshell, I used to be the kind of person who thought other women were crazy to deny an epidural during labor. I had an epidural with my first pregnancy, and was extremely grateful for it. Now we are TTC again, and I am seriously considering a Natural Birth. I can't wholeheartedly say I want a Natural Birth. However, I CAN say I want to want a Natural Birth. Does this make sense? I am just scared of the pain and physical agony, but I long for the sense of empowerment and accomplishment I know it will bring. We are women. Women are strong and powerful. We were made to birth babies from our bodies, and do so without drugs. Still I can;t help but be scared. Does anyone know of any good books or resources that offer help, such as empowerment and encouragement, for moms like me who are afraid of having a Natural Birth? Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
Proud Momma of Parker, born May 9, 2009! TTC baby #2 since November 2011! BFP on 3/16/2012!!! :DImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageimageimage

Re: I want a Natural Birth, but I am scared...

• Options
    I have the perfect book: "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth."  The first half of the book is filled with inspirational stories that will make you excited to have another baby!
  • Options

imagesschwege:
    I have the perfect book: "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth."  The first half of the book is filled with inspirational stories that will make you excited to have another baby!

This is a great book! And the stories are so wonderful and inspiring.

You're certainly not alone in feeling scared. To be honest, I'm probably more scared of natural birth going into the 3rd time than I was the first time. But I also know my body can do this and I WILL survive. Yes, it hurts, but it ends! And there's breaks between the contractions (for a little while, at least).  And it's what I feel is the best and right choice for me and LO, and that makes it both possible and encouraging. Good luck! 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It's ok to be scared of natural birth. I don't know many women who weren't (although they are out there). Embrace your fear and realize it's normal to be scared of something, even if it is a natural process. You've never done it before, so it's totally understandable to be frightened. 

With that said - it is totally doable. You just need to prepare for it mentally and physically. Take a natural childbirth class - Bradley, hypnobirthing, whatever. Knowing what to expect and learning coping mechanisms is very important. 

You can do it. And you will feel amazing afterwards. It was scary during, even knowing what to expect, but it was absolutely manageable. Never at any point did I feel the need or even want an epidural. 

FWIW, I took Bradley classes. 

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Personally, I am more afraid of the drugs! I have been through some serious pain, I am going to prepare for this with a special class, etc--I feel like I can do this. Having a needle in my spine? Totally new to me. Fentanyl itch? I don't even know how somebody begins to prepare for that. The possibility that the drugs won't give me any pain relief but may make labor MORE painful? It makes me a little angry that people expect us to sign up for that! Plus I am a recovered/recovering claustrophobic--feeling stuck in a bed with no way to move my legs is frankly more terrifying to me than thinking about the potential pain of "farting out a bowling ball," as some people have so tactfully put it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For me the risks associated with the epidural are far more scary than the pain associated with natural birth.  I did not originally choose natural birth to feel empowered or because my body was designed to do this, but because I was worried that my baby and myself would be negatively affected by all the interventions that are associated with medicated birth. 

The feelings of empowerment are bonus IMO, but would have never been enough for me the first time around.  I can understand why you are nervous.  I would suggest you do some more research about the cascades of interventions associated with the epidural and give yourself another reason to commit to a natural birth.

GL 

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options
    Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words, and recommendations. I will definitely read the book you all suggested, and sign up for a Natural Birthing class next time around. I will also look into different ways to cope with the pain, such as Hypnobirthing, Bradley, etc. I appreciate all of the encouraging, positive input from you all. It really does mean a lot, and it is humbling to receive such a sense of empowerment from women I don't even know! Thank you. :) For now we will continue TTC!
    Proud Momma of Parker, born May 9, 2009! TTC baby #2 since November 2011! BFP on 3/16/2012!!! :DImage and video hosting by TinyPic imageimageimage
  • Options
    To do a natural birth you need to get through all the fears you have. Try reading Hypnobirthing The Mongan Method. it also comes with a CD. It helps a lot! Explains how our bodys are made to achieve this and how births are done all over the world from the 50"s to now and what birthing classes offer. Great read and the way i am delivering my third!
  • Options

I too will admit that this time around I'm a bit scared.  W/my first I had no idea what I was getting into and really couldn't imagine the labor pains and the intensity of labor (no matter how much I thought I would understand).  Now I know how intense labor can be and I'm getting worried! I KNOW I can do it.  I mean we can ALL do it.  But it will be very intense and I have to really prepare myself for it!

Good luck ladies! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"