Preemies
Options

Did anyone have IUGR reverse/go away?

This might sound like a weird question. I don't know if I should ask it here? I had an OB visit today after seeing my high risk team (I see both) last week.

Back story: Our baby girl has Down syndrome and has been measuring a little behind, until the 23rd. She measured in the 9th percentile. My OB said we'll keep a close eye on her and do twice weekly NSTs, growth scans every 3 weeks and possibly start dopplers of the cord soon as well.

The latest they would ever let me deliver was going to be 39 weeks. This is partly due to the higher risk of fetal demise after 39 weeks in babies with T21 and partly due to her smallness as well as the fact that I'll be having a repeat c/s.

OB says LO is IUGR but it's not severe so we'll keep watching. He said it's possible that she'll jump up in growth into a higher percentile but it's not probable. He said it looks like I should be good to make it past 34 weeks (gulp. 2 weeks from now) but everything is contingent upon my growth scan and fetal echos on January 12th. If anything looks "less than perfect" we'll do steroid injections just in case. He won't even consider putting a c/s on the books until he thinks there's a chance I'll make it to that date. So for now, we're playing it by ear.

Sorry for the novel. Has anyone had IUGR reverse? I'll xp this to high-risk too, I just wasn't sure where else to ask.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Did anyone have IUGR reverse/go away?

• Options

My IUGR kept dropping.  My IUGR was in relation to Oligohydramnios, which doesn't resolve itself and in fact gets worse over time.  From what I understand unless the reason why your LO is IUGR solves itself then your baby will most likely still be IUGR - if that makes any sense.

Good luck and keep us posted.

BPF May 12, 2013 :: EDD Janaury 22, 2013 :: MC Began On July 14, 2013 at 12W4D

Born at 34w2d:

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    Thanks for the responses
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also had an IUGR twin who hovered around 10th % for about 4-5 weeks.  Since he continued growing, the Dr's felt it was safest to keep them in since they were barely viable.  However his growth dropped to near 5th% and his cord flow began reversing at 28 weeks.  I hope your LO can stay in safely until full term!
  • Options
    My LO had severe IUGR (less than 5th percentile) and eventually stopped growing but they never determined the cause.  Babies with Down syndrome tend to be small in general so it might just be from that and not progress like the other cases you're hearing.  My LO was born weighing only 3 lbs, 6 oz and was breathing and eating on his own.  He just had to stay in the NICU to get back to his birth weight and a few rounds of bili lights.  Keep monitored but try not to worry too much about the size. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker ........ born 11/16/11 at 36 weeks weighing 3 lbs, 6 oz
  • Options
    No, it just kept getting worse.  Fluid was dropping, his growth was dropping, and he stopped moving very much on his BPPs.   I hope the opposite is true for you. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    One of my twins has IUGR so this is what I assumed but we have normal fluid at this point, my other twin is normal but on the lower side. Not sure if the growth is caused by her placenta (we are having tests done next week). My health might be the big factor though which if I can help somehow I thought that may make a difference or keep it stable hopefully. I don't think it gets better per say but I have seen some stories that it has (maybe I'm just hoping too much). It's good that they are aware so they can intervene if needed!!
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies! We've known to expect NICU time since we got the diagnosis of Down syndrome but are obviously bummed that we're probably facing more than we expected.
  • Options

It's been forever since I have posted on here so please don't be offended by me telling you my own experience w/ IUGR.

My daughter had IUGR from very early on in my pregnancy, always measuring in the less then < 3% ! I know you have lots stacked up against you and all you can think is "why do I have to deal with this too?!?!?" But it's not all bad. Samantha was born @ 32 weeks weighing 2lbs 13oz....she was doing everything on her own! We only had to stay in the NICU for 3 weeks. yes, I know we were very lucky, but we had to think positively for her and ourselves, and ask everyone we knew for prayers.Looking back I know that every last one of those prayers made it to her and gave her the 'fight' she needed! Two years later and you can't even tell she was preemie or IUGR ! 

Try not to focus on the IUGR and take it one thing at a time. On the bright side, you get to see that sweet baby and hear that heart beat a whole lot more ! You'll get to use your infant baby gear longer then the rest of us and your baby will be cuter then a baby doll that we will all oooo and awe over!

lots of prayers to you and your little one and Stay strong!!!

• Options

imagegoldenleaves:
    Thanks for the replies! We've known to expect NICU time since we got the diagnosis of Down syndrome but are obviously bummed that we're probably facing more than we expected.

Your lil girl is already a fighter hun!! She wants to be here so badly to meet you and bring joy to both you and your husband! I've also read that babies with IUGR have a tendency to "fight" harder because that's what they know already. I keep telling my babies I'm sorry you are currently living in a Motel 6 but when you are ready to come out we promise you Disney World and Grand Floridian upgrades <: 

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

My youngest had IGUR due to a 2 vessel cord. He never went up, but he didnt go down either. DR ended up taking him at 39 weeks. He was born at 6lbs, only 1.5lbs bigger than his 32 week brother! 

He gained really quickly when out of the womb, by 6 weeks he was 13lbs.  The interesting thing was he never lost weight like most newborns do, it was like he was playing catch-up. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"