Babies: 6 - 9 Months

can someone please explain the point...

of dessert baby food!? 3rd ingredient is sugar......

why would a baby under a year need dessert? i can see giving them a little taste of your piece of cake or something like that but to buy and serve your child dessert from a jar?? 

little babies have such small stomachs...why fill it with crap when all they need is healthy food? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: can someone please explain the point...

• in all reality, no one NEEDS dessert.

except me, with coffee and Frangelico please.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's like anything else. What is the point of a Twinkie? Do I need a twinkie? No. It's just nice every once in a while. Calm down. No one is forcing you to feed your kid Gerber desserts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageelisbu:
    in all reality, no one NEEDS dessert.

except me, with coffee and Frangelico please.

LOL--love it.  so true though.  Kids definitely don't need the sugar--especially babies.  Agree all the way with this post!

There are so many "odd" things they serve in jars for babies--it's gross.

• imageHyfagal:
    It's like anything else. What is the point of a Twinkie? Do I need a twinkie? No. It's just nice every once in a while. Calm down. No one is forcing you to feed your kid Gerber desserts.

i know....i just would think gerber would be smarter about that 

• imagenugget0411:

imageHyfagal:
    It's like anything else. What is the point of a Twinkie? Do I need a twinkie? No. It's just nice every once in a while. Calm down. No one is forcing you to feed your kid Gerber desserts.

Gerber IS smart.  They know that there are people out there who will buy it and not read the ingredients or have enough common sense to realize that babies don't need dessert.  And in the end, Gerber's goal is to make money.  

image image

• imagenugget0411:

imageHyfagal:

Actually Gerber is a marketing genious. People have been trying to give my kid dessert & ice cream for months. I can guarantee that when those people see this they will buy it and say, "see, it's baby food, she can have it". There are plenty of people who don't look at labels and only see a treat for their baby. I won't give it, you don't have to give it. If others chose to that's their perogative.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I just went to Gerbers website because I hadn't heard they were doing desserts and I cannot find a single product. Can someone point me in the right direction?
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageAshC311:

I googled Gerber Desserts and found this:

https://www.gerber.com/AllStages/products/puree_baby_food/2nd_foods_spoonable_smoothies_mango.aspx

Sounds more like they added juice to make the foods sweeter and therefore "desserts".

ETA: And this link as well.

https://www.shopwell.com/gerber-dessert-fruit-medley/2nd-foods/p/1500007340

Interesting. If that's it there is no sugar as the 3rd ingredient.

• Pureed food is kind of gross.

Prepackaged pureed food is more gross.

Prepackaged nutritionally devoid baby dessert is why North America is fat.

• imagetokenhoser:

Pureed food is kind of gross. Yes

Prepackaged pureed food is more gross. YesYes

Prepackaged nutritionally devoid baby dessert is why North America is fat. YesYesYes ... well part of the reason why america is fat anyway

• imagetokenhoser:

Pureed food is kind of gross.

Word. I'm by no means the Food Police and don't get all uptight if someone gives my babe a lick of frosting a taste of icecream. It's a treat that way. Everyone needs a treat once in awhile. However, my baby doesn't need an entire jar of sugar food. No one does really.

• imagemelpatbat:
    imagetokenhoser:

Pureed food is kind of gross.

Oh Token, I love you more with every post.

I did say "North America" instead of "Canada" because I admit that as a nation, we're pretty fat as well.

Seriously, though, the longer my kid lives in ignorance of junk food, the better. He'll figure it out someday and there's no going back. I don't need to buy it and spoon feed it to him under a year old.

• Everything in moderation, I guess?  I certainly won't be buying it.

However I don't think that gerber is at fault for the nation's obesity LMAO

• imageLynsiBHM:

Everything in moderation, I guess?  I certainly won't be buying it.

The problem is people tend to think nothing is at fault for how fat people are.

I think maybe a culture that thinks babies need dessert could be part of the problem.

• imagetokenhoser:
    imageLynsiBHM:

Everything in moderation, I guess?  I certainly won't be buying it.

The problem is people tend to think nothing is at fault for how fat people are.

I think maybe a culture that thinks babies need dessert could be part of the problem.

i agree - why would a baby need dessert? they eat to survive at this age...if they don't learn that they need something sweet after eating then they will learn healthy eating habits as they grow! we NEVER had dessert after dinner...some nights we'd have ice-cream in front of the TV before bed but my IL's have full on dessert every night! yikes...not my DS!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"