Attachment Parenting
Options

Bedsharing while traveling

We don't bedshare normally...DS is in a crib in his room and sleeps there fine. However, the last couple of times we traveled, he ended up in bed with us because he hates the Pack N Play (and I really can't blame him, that thing does not seem comfortable!). So, I was thinking that if we are going to bedshare when we travel we need some sort of bed rail, right? What I've been doing is kicking DH out of the bed and sleeping at the very edge of the bed with my arm around DS so he would have to roll pretty far to to fall out of bed, but as he gets more and more mobile I'm thinking this isn't the safest idea as he could crawl off the other side.

Obviously, this is sort of uncharted territory for us and I want to be sure that we are being smart about it, so we can all get some good sleep on vacation!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bedsharing while traveling

• Options

I have traveled with DD a lot and I generally just push the bed up against a wall. We did this from age 15 months (when she started refusing the PNP) on and the only time she ever fell out of bed was one morning when I snuck out to take a shower and left her in bed alone (at almost 3 years of age). I will admit this probably isn't the perfect way to bedshare, but it has been challenging enough to bring a car seat and other accessories with me while traveling outside the US to add a bed rail to the mix.

We have, however, used a bedrail at my parents' house, where there's no way to push the bed up against a wall. It's from One Step Ahead and folds under the mattress when not in use.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just this past wknd we were at my ILs house. Normally he sleeps between me and DH, but the bed wasn't big enough for all three of us, so I kicked DH out and had just L and I in the bed. I shoved pillows along the opposite side of the bed, under the covers, and then tucked the covers under the mattress. It was pillows, L, then me. The pillows made enough of a hump to prevent him from rolling off of the bed. Worked good enough for two nights!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you are in a hotel you should be able to call and request bedrails on the bed. If you are at someones house put LO in the middle of you and DH. Or if need be make a little bed on the floor and make a pillow barrier around LO.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've never done this, but I've heard of people using a funoodle (those noodles for the pool) and placing it under the sheet next to DH.  That way he will have a "barrier" to keep from squashing LO and then LO can sleep between you.  A much easier idea would be to request a crib at the hotel.  Most hotels have cribs that they will put in the room.  I bedshare, but there have been a lot of studies suggesting that is it the most unsafe when it is not something the parents are used to doing all the time. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"