Babies: 6 - 9 Months

How do you prepare LOs formula?

I'm kinda new to this formula thing, so I was wondering what you momas find is the best way to prepare formula for the day. Right now I keep a jug of previously boiled water in the fridge, measure the amount into a battle then heat it in the microwave untill warm. I then add the powder to the warm water. Can you prepare a days worth of formula in the morning and just heat it in a hot water bath as you need it? Just curious I guess...

Re: How do you prepare LOs formula?

• i use our filtered fridge water but you could use previously boiled water too.

i just fill bottle up to water amount then add formula and mix together...then pour into a glass and microwave or use our bottle warmer - whichever is best at that bottle time!

but try not to microwave the plastic bottle in the microwave...apparently it's thought that the chemicals in the plastic will leak out if heated in the microwave. so just warm the water or formula mixed up in a glass first then add to the bottle.

i read that mixed formula is good for 48 hours 

HTH! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I make my bottles the night before. I boil water..let cool (at least room temp)..fill bottles put in powder mix then put in fridge. Then when it's time I heat up a mug of water in the microwave then put the bottle in it to warm up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I want to start by saying that I make every bottle for the following day at night. We have a Brita filter on our faucet and I fill a jug with the filtered water every night and leave it on the counter so that it becomes room temperature overnight.  In the evenings I fill each bottle for the next day with water from the jug.  I also scoop out the correct amount of formula into the formula dispensers (I have two).  That way when I need a bottle, all I have to do is dump the powder and go.  I have never warmed bottles because I didn't want either of my girls to get used to that...it makes being out and on the go much easier when they are used to room temperature.
    Allie ~ 01/26/09 ~ 7 lbs, 9 oz ~ 20.75 in. & Amelia ~ 03/16/11 ~ 8 lbs, 1 oz ~ 21 in.

• imageangiekillaire:
    I'm kinda new to this formula thing, so I was wondering what you momas find is the best way to prepare formula for the day. Right now I keep a jug of previously boiled water in the fridge, measure the amount into a battle then heat it in the microwave untill warm. I then add the powder to the warm water. Can you prepare a days worth of formula in the morning and just heat it in a hot water bath as you need it? Just curious I guess...

Microwaves heat unevenly so I refuse to use them.  I prepare bottles as needed. We leave our brita on the counter and use it at room temp or after combining the formula and water I put hot tap water in a larger cup and place the bottle in the hot water for ~1min.  Always, always check the temp of the bottle before offering it.

• imagenugget0411:

i read that mixed formula is good for 48 hours 

Only 24 hours if mixed from powder. 48 hours is if it's mixed from liquid concentrate.

OP - We use filtered water from our Britta pitcher, and Dr. Brown's formula pitcher and mix up a big batch at night, then pour into bottles to store in the fridge for the next day. Both of my girls have had no problem taking their bottles cold, right from the fridge, which makes life a lot easier :) If I needed to warm them, I would set them in a bowl of hot water. Microwaving is not recommended.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lord that's a lot of work.

I fill the bottle or pitcher from the tap and mix. Keep in fridge. Serve cold. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We are using nursery water still... If we run out before I notice and don't buy some right away, we will use bottled waters from our fridge.

- We just fill the bottle with water and add the formula in, shake, and feed the baby. We don't warm his bottles anymore, we give him room tempature.. So usually I have a few bottled waters out of the fridge if I notice I'm running low on nursery water and don't think I'll be going out soon enough to get some.
    - If we are going out for the day - we fill up a container with closed off sections with LO's formula. The bottles already have water in them..

We throw our formula out after 2 hours (I'm really anal about it) but I know my mom always informs me, EVERYTIME she sees me pour it out, that it's good for 2 days... So you can make a whole days worth if it's easier on you :)

• Wow, I guess I'm in the minority.  I use tap water...straight from the tap.  Sometimes we'll use bottled water or filtered water, but not most of the time.  I make a bottle as she needs it with cool tap water.  Then serve.  She doesn't go to daycare though, and I bf much of the time when we're at home.
  • image+diana82+:

Lord that's a lot of work.

I fill the bottle or pitcher from the tap and mix. Keep in fridge. Serve cold. 

This exactly- we dont heat the bottle at all which makes it MUCH easier if we are out in public and dont have a warming method. We dont serve it ice cold, however, its not warm.

• Thanks for the replies. Lots of good ideas! I've tried giving it to him cold, but we won't take it. Its gotta be warm or he refuses it. And just to clarify. I heat the water in the microwave before adding the powder and shake it up well to avoid any hot spots, and always check temp,
  • we keep a brita pitcher on the counter so we always have room temp filtered water

I would not and have not warmed a bottle. Suppose you're out shopping or in a car and your baby is so used to a warmed bottle and you cannot warm the water. You're SOL with a crying baby.

Formula is only good for 24 hours while refrigerated. No matter what, if a baby eats off any formula it expires in an hour.  I have given DS formula after an hour and a half but that's the max. 

• imageangiekillaire:
    Thanks for the replies. Lots of good ideas! I've tried giving it to him cold, but we won't take it. Its gotta be warm or he refuses it. And just to clarify. I heat the water in the microwave before adding the powder and shake it up well to avoid any hot spots, and always check temp,

This exactly!! Yes

• I use the Dr. Brown's formula pitcher and make all the bottles for the day.  I am lucky and discovered early on that DS doesn't care if his bottle is warm or cold, so we give it to him straight from the fridge.  Also, we use bottled water with powder formula.  
  • I have a britta pitcher and use that water.  Make the entire day up using the formula maker pitcher (dr. browns I think).  Put it in the fridge.  It is good for 24 hours.  I personally heat up each bottle in warm water.  The reason I do this is if my baby was breastfed the milk would be warm.  Since I cannot breastfeed, why should my baby not get the luxury of warm milk too. - My personal opinion, I am not flaming anyone for their choice so please don't flame me.
    If the house ain't burned down and the baby's fed it was a successful day. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We keep a pitcher of it in the fridge.  We just use filtered water.  We don't warm it up, and haven't for many months.
  • I am a HUGE fan of "blender" bottles that I found at bed bath and beyond. They each make 20oz. Usually the night before I make an entire days' bottles and refrigerate. About 15min before  a feeding we put the bottles in an electric bottle warmer. (I wish they would take cold bottles, we are getting better though, sometimes they'll take it room temperature). I have twins and need to make A LOT of bottles a day,  and the blenders are terrific, they mix powdered formula and water nicely. I guess I'm in the minority, I use tap water.
    imageimage Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"