Babies: 6 - 9 Months

stuffy nose

My LO has had this stuffy nose for a week and a half. I called the pedi office last week when she had been coughing too and they said it is most likely a virus, that the coughing is probably caused by her sinuses irritating her throat and gave me some suggestions. The coughing has quite, but her nose is still so stuffy. I can hear it when she breaths and she has trouble nursing sometimes. We have a humidifier going in the room while she sleeps now and I tried elevating the head of her bed a little. The bulb syringes don't work for crap. I have managed to get a little tiny bit out with one, but other than that it is up in her nasal passage and not reachable. She hasn't had a runny nose, just stuffy.

Does anyone have any advice or remedies? At what point should I call the pedi again?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: stuffy nose

• My LO was sick for almost two weeks with a runny nose. It would be stuffy and then just run like crazy. I think his was allergy related too. I would try putting a small amount of vicks vapor rub on her chest and maybe sitting in the bathroom and turning the shower on to create some steam to help her congestion for 5-10 minutes a couple of times a day. If that doesn't work in a few days; I would make an appointment with the pedi.  
  • Have you tried saline drops? That might help loosen up whatever is too far up for the bulb to get. I usually put a few drops in LO's nose, then after a minute suction him. We also use Vicks Baby Rub on his chest (and sometimes feet) at night and run the humidifier for awhile before we put him down.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Loading the player...
  • We use the Vicks at night, steam from the shower, humidifier...but what really helps is the Nosefrida!

• I second this - the Nosefrida - the SNOTSUCKER.  This thing is amazing.  We use a humidifier every night in the twins' room, do the saline every morning/night and sometimes after naps and also do the snotsucker when I can hear something or see something up there.  This morning I got a sick amount out of both their little noses. Worth EVERY penny and that thing will be my baby shower gift to everyone from here out!

https://www.amazon.com/Nosefrida-The-Snotsucker-Nasal-Aspirator/dp/B00171WXII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325095506&sr=8-1

HTH!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Boy/Girl twins born at 36w1d via c-section Chloe Mae 6lb 2oz Chase Christopher 6lb 0oz
  • Make sure you clean your humidifier with soap and water, if you don't clean it will become just a house for bacteria that then everyone will breathe. I wash it with soap, water and 1/2 of vinegar every 2 days when using it.

One thing that helps my DD and was recommeded by pedi was to massage the area between tear duct and nose and then put warm compresses of water. Repeat it a few times a day, it did help my daughter with the congestion that wasn'tgoing away. Best time to do it is while they are sleeping, so you can actually do it without them moving so much. 

Like pp have said, saline drops, vicks have also help.

HTH!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all! I will look up that Snotsucker thing. Sounds like it might be what I need. I hate those bulb things. I had heard before not to use Vicks, but if they make a baby kind, then maybe I can find that.
  • I think it's all been mentioned, but the combination of humidifier, vaporizer, baby Vicks rub, elevated mattress and the Nosefrida have made a world of difference for DD's cold.  We had one night she barely slept and then pulled out everything last night and she slept 11 hrs.  I have taken her to pedi when she had a cold and cough before and there was nothing that could be done.  This time I figure I'll follow the Mayo Clinic guidelines for when to see pedi for colds: https://www.mayoclinic.com/health/common-cold-in-babies/DS01106/DSECTION=symptoms.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

• forgot to add...DS had a cold for 13 days that didn't seem to be getting better, so I took him to the pedi today and he has an ear infection. He never pulled at his ear so I wouldn't have known except that his cold wasn't getting better.  Pedi said that a typical cold lasts 7-10 days, if it doesn't appear to be improving by then you should probably go in to see if it is something else.
    BKP__Levi's One Year_0032_CDBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMLF135:
    forgot to add...DS had a cold for 13 days that didn't seem to be getting better, so I took him to the pedi today and he has an ear infection. He never pulled at his ear so I wouldn't have known except that his cold wasn't getting better.  Pedi said that a typical cold lasts 7-10 days, if it doesn't appear to be improving by then you should probably go in to see if it is something else.

Good to know. She has had it for almost 2 weeks now. So I should probably take her in. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"