Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Normal nursing behavior?

DD always used to latch on and take a meal or snack- SHE WOULD NEVER REFUSE. Nowadays, she has been a lot fussier at the breast. She will only latch on if she is really hungry (otherwise, she will push away and start crying). She also tends to prefer new, unusual nursing positions. For example, she likes to sit up or kneel in front of me to nurse. The other issue is she is incredibly distractible- she will suck once or twice and then pull off to look around. We went through this easily distracted phase around 4 months (4 month wakeful) and it was always enough to simply nurse her in a quiet, dark room. Now that is not enough- she is still pulling off to look around. Anyone else going through the same thing? Any advice?

Also, how often is your 6-9 month old nursing?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Normal nursing behavior?

• no help from me personally - i stopped at 6 months.

but a girlfriend of mine has a daughter and when she was about 9 months old  i was over and her DD she was kneeling in front of her to nurse and it looked so funny so i remember her telling me that she just likes to do it and was very distracted too.  are you planning to nurse for a while still? are you okay with introducing a formula bottle every once in a while? or are you going from BM to food? either way maybe try pumping into a bottle and see how much she gets...that's totally just my opinion. we went from nursing 100% to intro a bottle before bed to get him nice a full because he was waking so much and so i suspected he wasn't getting enough BM so sure enough he was drinking 6-8 oz from the bottle before bed and sleeping much better. then we just slowly transitioned into more Formula and now he's 100% FF and solids.

good luck! i'm sure it's just the age...DS won't drink his bottle downstairs or around ppl....he likes to be in his room in the dark!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mine is super distracted too. I generally can get her to nurse for enough time though if we are in a quite dark room. Sometimes I have a fan or instrumental music going so there is some noise that is continuous and doesn't distract. I just have to keep asking her if she wants more when she pulls away.

As for the first part, my LO went through this kind of thing around 5 months. I was told she was going on "nursing strike". It was hard. She would throw tantrums when I tried to nurse her. Some people end up stopping because they have such a hard time at it, but you don't have to. If you are just more stubborn then they are, you can get through it. If she won't eat and is just throwing a fit, try to cuddle or comfort her and give her paci if she uses one, and just stop feeding her. Try again in a little while when she is calm again. Try switching sides when she does it, even if she has only ate for a minute on the current side. It took three weeks or more to get mine to nurse regularly again. It was stressful. I took her to the doctor twice to make sure she wasn't sick or anything. Nope, she was just being a butt. I also saw that her night time feedings were much better and she didn't fight me during those. I think she was just too tired to care. But during the day it was not fun!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenugget0411:

no help from me personally - i stopped at 6 months.

but a girlfriend of mine has a daughter and when she was about 9 months old  i was over and her DD she was kneeling in front of her to nurse and it looked so funny so i remember her telling me that she just likes to do it and was very distracted too.  are you planning to nurse for a while still? are you okay with introducing a formula bottle every once in a while? or are you going from BM to food? either way maybe try pumping into a bottle and see how much she gets...that's totally just my opinion. we went from nursing 100% to intro a bottle before bed to get him nice a full because he was waking so much and so i suspected he wasn't getting enough BM so sure enough he was drinking 6-8 oz from the bottle before bed and sleeping much better. then we just slowly transitioned into more Formula and now he's 100% FF and solids.

good luck! i'm sure it's just the age...DS won't drink his bottle downstairs or around ppl....he likes to be in his room in the dark!  

I am not ready to wean DD, but would like to figure out a way to get her to ignore all these distractions. And she is a great sleeper overnight, so there is no need to introduce a bottle at night to get her to feel fuller. Her final meal of the day at the breast (right before bed) is usually a good one anyway.

• imageLMBecky11:

Mine is super distracted too. I generally can get her to nurse for enough time though if we are in a quite dark room. Sometimes I have a fan or instrumental music going so there is some noise that is continuous and doesn't distract. I just have to keep asking her if she wants more when she pulls away.

As for the first part, my LO went through this kind of thing around 5 months. I was told she was going on "nursing strike". It was hard. She would throw tantrums when I tried to nurse her. Some people end up stopping because they have such a hard time at it, but you don't have to. If you are just more stubborn then they are, you can get through it. If she won't eat and is just throwing a fit, try to cuddle or comfort her and give her paci if she uses one, and just stop feeding her. Try again in a little while when she is calm again. Try switching sides when she does it, even if she has only ate for a minute on the current side. It took three weeks or more to get mine to nurse regularly again. It was stressful. I took her to the doctor twice to make sure she wasn't sick or anything. Nope, she was just being a butt. I also saw that her night time feedings were much better and she didn't fight me during those. I think she was just too tired to care. But during the day it was not fun!

Thanks. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

• Same thing happens to DD from time to time. When it happens I wear a long necklace when I nurse her, so she gets entertained while nursing at the same time. The only downside is that sometimes she pulls too hard and it bothers me. I know my solution is not ideal, but hey it gets her to nurse without looking everywhere else...I also found that when she's like this, nursing her while she sleeps is just much more easier...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO goes on mini nursing strikes every now and then.  She is also easily distractible. I let her nurse in whatever position she wants depending on her mood.  Usually she prefers side laying and semi-upright.  She also really likes to nurse sitting upright in our Ergo with the sleeping hood up (she hates, hates, hates having a nursing cover or blanket over her head).

We are still mostly EBF, and there are times when she won't nurse for like 6 hours.  It's uncomfortable for me, but I don't worry about.  I just keep offering until she accepts or until she signs she wants milk.  Over all, she nurses about 6-9 times a day.  Just keep at it, if your LO pushes you away stop and try again later.

Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • My LO gets this way sometimes as well.  In the evenings, she will sometimes fuss when I try to nurse her, but if offered her solids, she will gobble them down and then happily nurse a little later.  I just take that behavior to mean that she's wanting something other than BM.  If she keeps popping on and off, I usually just stop the nursing session and try again later.  My LO likes crazy positions too . . .my favorite is when she holds her foot up by her head and then goes from nursing to sucking her toe repeatedly (until I decide we're done).  She also kneels, stands and does other silly things.  Hang in there!  Our DD's are lucky to have the BM.  Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"