Babies: 6 - 9 Months

8 mnth old refusing tummy time?

My DD is going to be 8 months old this week & has always hated tummy time. Since she was a few weeks old I have made her do only 10 min of tummy time a day & all she does is scream, cry, & throw a fit. DS was crawling by the time he was 6 months old so I get a bit nervous that she isn't even close to crawling. She only has rolled over a few times, & when she is doing tummy time she gets the top half of her body in the correct crawling position, but not her legs. However, she is great at keeping her balance and sitting up by herself. Should I be worried about her refusal to crawl/do tummy time? or does anyone have any tips on how to make tummy time/crawling easier? Advice? Encouragement?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: 8 mnth old refusing tummy time?

• My kid HATES tummy time now that he can sit. He won't even do it for a minute.  He also isn't even thinking about crawling.  I am not the least bit concerned. I'm just letting him enjoy his view from the top for now.
  • I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of crawling. I know kids that never crawled...just went straight to walking. As for TT, I was under the impression that anything that wasn't them on their back technically counted as tummy time.
  • Loading the player...
  • I didn't crawl till I was over a year old, I can walk and run and skip and gallop just fine.
  • Im sure it's fine DD has been crawling for 2 weeks now and its hell, enjoy it while you can!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is my daughter to a tee!!
  • imageelisbu:
    I didn't crawl till I was over a year old, I can walk and run and skip and gallop just fine.

This is my ds. He crawled at one year, didn't walk until 15 months, but he can crawl, walk, skip, gallop, climb, etc just fine.

• imageRunningGal900:
    I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of crawling. I know kids that never crawled...just went straight to walking. As for TT, I was under the impression that anything that wasn't them on their back technically counted as tummy time.

This was DD1.  She hated tummy time.  She went straight to cruising and walking. It was bitter sweet.  We wanted her to crawl but at the same time it was easier for us she wasn't mobile.

• My LO is the same way. She can roll over, but doesn't like to and can't sit up on her own yet though. But I worry a lot about if she is not on par with other babies. But I was told by the nurses at her pedi office that crawling is not even on their list of things they need to see and that some babies go strait to walking and skip crawling all together. I try to make it funner for her but she still just screams. I am at the point where I feel like I should just let her cry for a while if it means she gets the tummy time in, but I hate doing that and it doesn't seem to do any good anyway because it isn't making her crawl by just letting her cry. So I don't have much advice in that way. But, your baby isn't alone! = )
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think that if LO can sit up on their own and they enjoy time sitting up, it's OK to stop the tummy time...I was always under the impression that tummy time was to prevent flat spots on their heads, and if they are sitting up most of the time instead of laying down on their backs then they obviously won't be getting flat spots.  I'm sure your LO will either start crawling soon or just go straight to walking....

One of the kids at LO's daycare is almost 1 and still not crawling.  We're pretty sure she's gonna go straight to walking!

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"