3rd Trimester
Options

Bottle or Breast & Why?

2»

Re: Bottle or Breast & Why?

• Options
    Breastfeeding.  I also did with DS and will with DD.  Of course DS took to it like a natural...hopefully DD does well too! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    BFing because I can and it's best for the baby. DD1 was BF until 1 week after her first birthday. I'm hoping for the same thing this time around.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageRobinsegg23:

I BF my 1st and plan on BF this one since my boobies are beyond the point of no return haha j/k. I am BF for the obviouse health benefits to me and baby.

This

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was planning to FF, but am now considering EP. I have zero desire to BF, but will consider pumping. I have still not made a final decision.

If the hospital pushes me to BF when I want help with pumping, that will be the end of it and she will be fed formula. 

• Options
    DS will be breastfed and also bottle-fed pumped BM when I go back to work.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    imageLilyPotter218:

I was planning to FF, but am now considering EP. I have zero desire to BF, but will consider pumping. I have still not made a final decision.

If the hospital pushes me to BF when I want help with pumping, that will be the end of it and she will be fed formula. 

They may push you to BF rather than pump, because the nursing stimulates your milk production more than the pump can. If you want to supply your baby with BM, it would probably be best to try to put LO to the breast at least for the first few days to get your supply off to a strong start. Then switch to EPing if that's what you want to do. Just something to consider- that they may not be pushing you to nurse for nursing's sake, rather they want to give you the best shot at having a good supply established.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    imagesunnyday016:
    imageLilyPotter218:

They may push you to BF rather than pump, because the nursing stimulates your milk production more than the pump can. If you want to supply your baby with BM, it would probably be best to try to put LO to the breast at least for the first few days to get your supply off to a strong start. Then switch to EPing if that's what you want to do. Just something to consider- that they may not be pushing you to nurse for nursing's sake, rather they want to give you the best shot at having a good supply established.

I do understand that.

I've talked to a lactation "expert" who suggested a hospital grade pump in the beginning, which is what I would like to try. I just have zero desire to BF and as of right now will not do it. I know it seems strange to some people, it just has zero appeal and actually makes me a bit ill to think about. Just not for me.

It took 28 weeks to even convince myself to try pumping. Even that creeps me out to some extent. I thought I would get over it, but it hasn't happened...

• Options
    I plan to try to BF, which really surprised me. For pretty much all of 1st tri I was dead set on FF for various reasons, including how hard I found it to view breasts as anything other than sexual. But at some point after reading about all of the possible medical benefits, I changed my mind. I'll try to BF, but I won't kill myself if it doesn't work out due to latching problems or supply problems, etc.
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagesalt78:
    imagepinksweetpea2:

There is WAY too much of a reliance on props (pumps, nipple shields, etc.) and not enough emphasis on just plain nursing.

Unfortunately some of us have to rely on pumps in order to supply breast milk. I don't have the luxury of staying home with my child for a prolonged period of time.

That is NOT what I meant.   I am talking about adding pumping sessions to bring your milk in.  Nursing on demand those first 6 weeks (when you are home) is much more effective and much less stressful.  Yes, pumping is something many women have to do, but it is really hard to HAVE to do it after each and every feeding in those first few weeks.  What I am talking about is a method used to build up suppy- not pumping to provide milk to your baby when you are at work.  They are two very different issues. 

And when I said that our society doesn't support nursing mothers, I was partially talking about YOU and your situation.  Maternity leave in the US is terrible and not conducive to women being able to EBF for a whole year.  It is a shitty situation and I am in no way judging you or others in your situation for having to pump or supplement.  Pumping is hard and I admire you for keeping up with it as long as you can.  

Oh, and before you try and start another SAHM vs. WM battle with someone, you should get your facts straight.  I have been BOTH over the past 3.5 years as a Mom and even frequent both boards on the bump.  I can safely say that it is equally hard on both sides of the coin, although sometimes in different ways.  No one will ever win this fight, so why bother trying to start one?  In my experience it just seems to cause bitterness and resentment.  It is hard enough being a Mom, why make your life harder?

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• Options

I plan to BF.  I like the medical benefits, but it's more because we just don't have the money to be buying a bunch of formula.  It makes more sense to BF.  However, if he's not getting enough, I don't have a problem giving him formula.  A fed baby is a fed baby.  Period.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    imagepinksweetpea2:
    Oh, and before you try and start another SAHM vs. WM battle with someone, you should get your facts straight.  I have been BOTH over the past 3.5 years as a Mom and even frequent both boards on the bump.  I can safely say that it is equally hard on both sides of the coin, although sometimes in different ways.  No one will ever win this fight, so why bother trying to start one?  In my experience it just seems to cause bitterness and resentment.  It is hard enough being a Mom, why make your life harder?

Woah. I wasn't starting an argument with you. I was pointing out that I need to rely on a pump because I was obviously unclear by what you meant in your OP. Calm down.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"