Cincinnati Babies

Preparing for baby questions

OK, I feel like I have been slacking and maybe should have already looked into some of this:

When did you pick a pediatrician?  Is this something I should do before the babies are born?  Did you just choose by location/ recommendations from friends?

Did you take a breastfeeding class or meet with a LC pre-delivery?  If you rented a hospital pump, did you need to set that up beforehand?  How do I even go about doing that so I can take one home with us?

I know I still have some time, but I am a planner and want to make sure I have an appropriate time frame in mind; especially if they decide to come early!

*** Sisterwife with JenniferLuvsCandy! can't wait to meet your LO!***
***Congrats to Kristin15172004 on your adorable baby girl!***
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Preparing for baby questions

• We picked our pediatrician a while ago - the hospital told us they would need to know before we left the hospital after delivery so they can send the baby's records on. We picked them because SIL uses the office, and DH went there as a baby.

I took a breastfeeding class through TriHealth since it was included in the fee for our childbirth prep classes. I liked it, but I wouldn't have paid extra for it. I'm not sure what the hospital pump policies are, sorry! I would imagine you could call the hospital...we got a packet from Bethesda North with just a TON of information after we sent in our registration forms, but I imagine every hospital is different...

Good luck! 

• Picking a pediatricain is up to you how you choose one. Some choose by area, friends (talk to them they are the best advertiser for who they like), you can go meet with them prior (interview). The hospital can help you pick one as well. I piked mine based on area and talking with friends (Mt Carmel peds). There are a lot of choices and great doctors in the area.

As far as renting a breastpump, the new lactation boutique rents them and you can get it set up before you even have the baby (and it can be at home waiting, that way I will not have to worry about it or send DH out later). They are great! I went a few weeks a ago and there LC gave me so much help. I am going to get my pump from them in a few months when I need it. I love being able to support a localy owned store. The hospitals are great but a store that helps and support women owned by a women and not a company has my support : )

I would talk with an LC before it will help you with any questions or concerns, got great advice from Blue Cocoon, I am joing their moms group. I was told that they will have women breastfeeding or have in the past and pregnant moms like me. I am excited to just talk with someone as I am nervouse about BF, but excited at the same time...

Wish you the best of luck...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We picked our pedi a few months before delivery.  We decided that we wanted to use a GP (also licensed in peds) that could see the whole family.  We've been happy with our choice and love the convenience of the office location.

I took a BFing class prior to DD1.  I did not have any close friends or family members who were breastfeeding and felt like I needed more information to be well prepared.  I delivered at Christ and took the BFing class along with our childbirth class.  I wouldn't say it was the greatest class ever, but it did help set me out on the right path.  I think it was very useful for DH as well to kind of know what to expect.  He was also able to remember things from the class and help me when I got stressed or overwhelmed with the BFing.

DD1 was born on Thanksgiving day which meant the hospital rental facilities were closed.  We ended up renting a pump from a pharmacy in Mason because it was the only place we could find that was open and I had not purchased a personal pump yet.  We stopped on the way home from the hospital and picked it up.  No big deal.

Good luck!

imageimage
    Photos courtesy of Jen Rose Photography
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We interviewed several pedi's before choosing one. I called around and scheduled interviews with them, we met with them, and then chose one.

I took a BFing class that was included in my birthing classes at the hospital. It wasn't a great class, but I had NO experience with breastfeeding and nobody close by that had either so I wanted to go into it with something.

I bought a pump before I delivered, but used the hospital one while there. I could have rented it before leaving though.

• I picked my pedi before I submitted registration paperwork to the hospital.  Make sure you write down the info and bring with you to the hospital (I didn't....figured they'd have it!).

I did take the TriHealth class that came with childbirth class.  I, honestly, got more out of breastfeeding than childbirth.  I had a quick starting labor and didn't use a single thing we learned in class minus a few breaths :)

I had bought a pump before baby was born and used it the day I came home.  At the hospital the lactation consultant was pushing the hospital grade pump, they are readily available.

My experiences were at Good Sam.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone!  I will get on the ball with this whole pedi thing now.  I also really like the suggestion of the boutique.  I would love to support a small, local business.  Anyone have more specific info on it so I can look up store hours?  Should I call ahead and make an appt or just drop in? 
    *** Sisterwife with JenniferLuvsCandy! can't wait to meet your LO!***
    ***Congrats to Kristin15172004 on your adorable baby girl!***
  • Here is the website for Blue Cocoon (the breastfeeding boutique).  https://www.bluecocoonbaby.com/

Ashley, the owner, is awesome!  She will spend as much time with you as you need.  She posts her hours for the week on Facebook as well as under the "contact us" section on her website.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"