Preemies
Options

Slow eater or not yet fully developed?

Another feeding post... I am getting really frustrated. REALLY frustrated.Zoey is 39+ weeks was born a 35 weeker.

Yesterday I BF Zoey for about 20 minutes then she took about 3/4 of an oz from the bottle. SHe then did her "I'm done eating" face, so I stopped. She was fine. The nurse came and started her on the gavage feeding for the rest of her bottle. I start crying because I now hate the gavage - it is standing in our way of taking her home. Well, Zoey starts screaming after a few ounces and I push the nurse to stop the gavage and so she does, pouring the milk back into bottles. Zoey and I have some cuddle time and she poops and passes gas. She starts moving her mouth again like she is hungry, so I gave her one of the bottles. She took another 1/2 oz. before being done again.

I keep insisting that feeding on demand would be better than trying to push the rest of her required feeding amount directly in her, but no one will listen to me. She has gained almost a pound in 4 weeks and has no other issues besides not finishing her feeds.

I am going to try to talk to her doctor today. I just can't keep hearing from him that she is going to be coming home soon, because while I know it is true and she will - he is starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf. I am starting to feel defeated and worn down. Doesn't mother's intuition count for anything?

Re: Slow eater or not yet fully developed?

• Options

I would defininetly talk to the Dr. about this.  Find out exactly what the feeding orders are.

So she is allowed to BF and then you still have to give her a bottle feeding?  It seems like if she is BFing well (strong sucks and audible swallowing) and for long enough times (20 min is good) then the bottle and/or gavage should be held.  How is your milk supply when you pump?

Most newborns only take about 1-2 oz at a feeding anyway.  I had to speak up about my mother's intuition many times regarding the feedings, by saying things like "I feel like he got a good feeding and doesn't need any more".  If she is gaining weight, it sounds like the orders need to be changed and the gavage feedings need to be discontinued so she can at least have a chance to to show she can take all the feedings by breast of bottle.  Good luck!

• Options

I completely understand where you are coming from and feel like I could have written that exact post myself. Our LO is also a 39 weeker born at 27 weeks so we have spent 12 LONG weeks in the NICU and the only thing keeping her from coming home is about 2 bottles a day. Yesterday I finally had to put my foot down because her feeding plan was changing from shift to shift depending on who her nurse was and what they happened to feel worked 'best' for her. What I couldn't understand is how they know what is best when they keep changing their minds. She went from every 3 hours to a minimum/maximum, to every 4 hours to back to every 3 hours all within 2 days. It was really confusing and frustrating. We've have also been told several times that she will be coming home only to see that day pass with another gavage feeding because she won't finish her bottle.
    I know they have done this longer than me, but I agree that mother's intuition count for something. When our LO is too gassy or is working on a poop she doesn't eat as well. But give her a few mintues and she is a total rockstar. We know that, but not every nurse does and they are often quick to count her out for that feed.Ugh.
    I wish I had some wonderful, thoughtful advice to share but just wanted to let you know you aren't in it alone. This is by far the toughest part: being so close be seeing it slip away with one feed through the tube.
    Hang in there! I'll keep you and your LO in my T&Ps. Happy eating to you :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also wanted to add that the NICU isn't always a BFing friendly place due to the rigid schedules.  Do you plan on EBFing at home?  I would ask if there is a transition room where you can stay for 24 hours with her to prove she can take all her feedings and come home.
  • Options
    Have you talked to the neo about their feeding goals before going home? Our NICU baby was only 4 lbs 4 oz when she was released, but she only had to be eating 50 mls (1.5 oz? I can't remember) over 30 minutes and showing a steady gain to go home (they started w/ this goal when she went into an open crib). We never had a feeding tube, only TPN, so it wasn't ever an option for the nurses. Maybe ask if they can skip using it for a day and see how it goes?
  • Options
    I spoke with her doctor today and he agreed - she would be better off at home than in the NICU. She is coming home on Friday 1 day shy of her due date!
  • Options
    DD was a 26 weeker and was a super slow eater from 34-39. She is almost 40 corrected and is really getting the hang of it within the past few days. She now eats 2 ounces in one sitting and does it in like 10 minutes. She had a click moment in the NICU before she came home and started eating everything but was still incredibly slow. She had another click moment very recently at home and is actually a great eater now.
    Born at 26 weeks 2 days gestation, 2 pounds 2 ounces due to IC/PTL,
    and after 82 days in the NICU, our little girl is home!
    Untitled Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image image
  • Options

imagedcmetrobride:
    I spoke with her doctor today and he agreed - she would be better off at home than in the NICU. She is coming home on Friday 1 day shy of her due date!

Party!!!   YAY!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image image image
  • Options

So glad she is getting to come home!

Jenn Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"