C-sections

? about how your scar looks and what/if anything you've done to help with the healing

So I had a c/s almost 17 months ago and I think my scar still looks bad...nowhere near what some of my friends have said their scar looks like. Anyway, so I bought some silicone strips (https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-scar-treatment-silicone-scar-sheets/ID=prod6072070-product) that are supposed to improve the appearance of existing scars. 

Has anyone tried the silicone strips? If so, did they help?

Anything else you've tried that has improved the appearance of your scar after it healed? 

ETA: My scar is not that bad compared to some that I've seen but many of my friends say that theirs in a small line that they can barely see. My c/s was a horrible experience and I would prefer not to be reminded of it by this ugly pinkish purple jagged line on my stomach. 

DS1: 8/3/10, DD1: 8/17/13, DD2: 8/13/15
Twins lost to due to partial molar pregnancy: September 2011 
~~PAL, PgAL Always Welcome~~

Re: ? about how your scar looks and what/if anything you've done to help with the healing

• I honestly have not done a thing to my scar and can't honestly see it.  When I had my first OB appointment with the OB that did my c/s she actually commented on how well it looked, that you can barely see it.  It's actually lighter than my stretch marks.  I can't really help you with that but look at it as a wonderful reminder to giving birth to your child. 
    Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • my scar is odd. From left to right, it starts off nice and thin, barely noticeable, then gets raised and dark pink/purple, then it goes nice and thin again and finally raised again. I don't know wth happened LOL.

I haven't tried any treatments to improve it and don't think I will for now at least.

• Loading the player...
  • Mine really doesn't bother me.  No one see's it but my DH, so I don't really care that it's there, as long as it's healing properly.  I see it as a symbol of the beautiful child that grew inside me for 9 months!

Is there a reason you want to make it disappear? I guess I just don't see the big deal since mine is SO low in my pelvic area, and it's completely hidden when wearing underwear/bathing suit anyway!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageBabyBLove:

Mine really doesn't bother me.  No one see's it but my DH, so I don't really care that it's there, as long as it's healing properly.  I see it as a symbol of the beautiful child that grew inside me for 9 months!

Is there a reason you want to make it disappear? I guess I just don't see the big deal since mine is SO low in my pelvic area, and it's completely hidden when wearing underwear/bathing suit anyway!

I like this and kind of feel the same way.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • I haven't used anything. I know it sounds silly, but for a while I was scared that using something to "lighten" the scar would hurt the healing process. Obviously your baby is much older than mine though. I would probably try the vitamin e oil.
  • imageKBBH:
    imageBabyBLove:

Mine really doesn't bother me.  No one see's it but my DH, so I don't really care that it's there, as long as it's healing properly.  I see it as a symbol of the beautiful child that grew inside me for 9 months!

I like this and kind of feel the same way.

Honestly, my recovery was horrible. I barely remember meeting my son for the first time while I was lying on the recovery table. I was in the hospital for 5 days (got a post-op infection) and have very few memories of DS during that time due to all of the medication. Those same meds caused my son to be so drowsy that we were unable to successfully BF despite help from LC and LLLI. For two weeks after I got out of the hospital I couldn't even get out of bed on my own without crying b/c it hurt so bad. My MIL and my sister took turns coming in to help me care for DS b/c I couldn't even pick him up to care for him. I know that many people have very easy c/s and recovery but that was not the case for me.

My recovery was so bad that it really made me think I would never have another child for fear of having to go through that again (and I have talked to many others who have felt the same way). To paraphrase a friend of mine (who just had a VBAC), I am able to find beauty in my son's birthday but not in his birth.

All this scar reminds me of is all that I lost in meeting my son and caring for him in the days after his birth... 

• My entire scar is a nasty purple keloid. :( My OB said some people are just genetically prone to getting keloids, but I'm not sure if there's anything to do to help. I'm going to ask at my next appt, but I'm having a rcs and she's going to just be cutting out the old scar. She said she will use a different type of stitch, which can minimize them. So if you ever are planning on another, don't forget that this scar may be totally gone/cut out and you'll have a new one to deal with instead. :) 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • imagebiblionerd:
    My entire scar is a nasty purple keloid. :( My OB said some people are just genetically prone to getting keloids, but I'm not sure if there's anything to do to help. I'm going to ask at my next appt, but I'm having a rcs and she's going to just be cutting out the old scar. She said she will use a different type of stitch, which can minimize them. So if you ever are planning on another, don't forget that this scar may be totally gone/cut out and you'll have a new one to deal with instead. :) 

I know I'm getting back to this post kind of late... I honesty plan to attempt a VBAC with my next LO so hopefully there won't be another one 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"