C-sections
Options

Unplanned c/s... advice for PP?

We had a difficult labor and ended up in a c/s, which I don't remember any about. DS is 2 days old. I haven't been given many instructions on PP care, besides the fact that my staples come out before discharge tomorrow.

I'm going to ask when the doctor comes tomorrow to take out the staples about care of the incision, if there's anything I can do to avoid the pooch, ab exercises (the newborn channel in the hospital suggests starting small exercises right away... lifting legs, small crunches, etc, which struck me as awfully fast considering I can hardly get myself out of bed), taking baths, lengths of walks PP, and PP appointments (I know vaginal at my office is 4wks PP, not sure about c/s). Anything else?  

Any advice? I'm just on motrin, stool softeners and gas pills now, I'm doing fine without the demoral. I don't have any incision pain, most of my discomfort is just from changing positions and trying to get around with the lack of ab muscle usage. 

Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011

Re: Unplanned c/s... advice for PP?

• Options
    Take things slow. The worst thing you can do is over do yourself right now. I was told to hold off exercise until 6 weeks but I didn't even feel comfortable with that. You'll find that if you listen to your body you will know what you can and cannot do for things like walking.

I was told that I could take a bath as soon as my steri strips came off which was two weeks but I know some OBs say 4 weeks. Showers were fine right away.

Also, as far as the pooch goes, I am sure you still have some baby weight so things will get better. I gained 20sum lbs during my pregnancy and lost all of it in a couple months. With losing that weight the pooch went away. I had diastasis recti too so I was uber concerned I would end up with a mom pooch. 11 months PP and there is still a dent though since I haven't toned anything. If I toned everything up it would be flat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Take it easy for 6 weeks.  You will not really be able to do many exercises too soon.  Unfortunately, c/s recovery is hard and can leave you very sore, even from things you wouldn't think take much effort, 

Congrats on your new baby boy! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was not aloud todo anything for 6 weeks. It surprises me that your staples are coming out so soon. Mine were kept in for at least a week.

I would take it easy the first week or two. You will not be up for much. Maybe take a small walk. I had a hard time walking around the store 5 days later. I hope you have a great recovery.

• Options

Depending on how far you got into your labor, your body is kind of recovering from 2 major stresses right now. The contractions and trying to push out your baby the natural way, and then being put through major abdominal surgery. Take things slow like PP's said. I was the same way as you w/meds, by the time I left the hospital I was just on the gas pills, stool softeners and Motrin. I took Perc's home but didn't take them b/c I was afraid of not being very coherent and dropping DS. 

Take the next at least 3 or 4 weeks to relax (I'm talking feet up, on the couch/in bed, don't get up too much unless you have to go to the bathroom). I know if you have other kids it's probably not really possible. When I got home and DH went back to work, in the morning before he left we would fill a basket w/diapers, feminine pads, nursing pads, onsies, wipes, etc... whatever I would need from upstairs until he got home basically so I wouldn't have to climb the stairs (which was one thing that the nurses mentioned NOT to do).

As far as excersises I wouldn't do anything having to do with your core. Just flex and point your feet (good leg circulation) and if they give you any breathing excersises to do (they had me breathe in and out of that plastic thing to get my lungs going again and prevent clots). I didn't work out much during my pregnancy and my OB said that paired w/the c/s was like starting from scratch.

Congrats on your new baby!!!

ETA: my staples also came out before I was discharged, but I was in an extra day w/LO b/c he had issues. But I've known other women to get them out before they went home.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Congrats on the baby!! Your PP appt will be 6 weeks and PLEASE dont do any crunches seriously you'll pop a stitch or something. Believe me you wont even want to anyway. Sounds like my birth experience everything was going normal I dilated, and labored but there was no getting DD down that canal. She was so wedged down there we ended up with a not so quick c-section and me soo tired. If your worried about the pooch I suggest getting the belly bandit its worked to get my shape back PLUS its supportive for your incision.
  • Options
    Congrats on your baby!  I had a 2-week pp visit to check my incision and have the steri-strips removed.  I also had a 6-week pp visito that was more thorough and got bc.  Remember to take it easy, and keep taking your pain pills.  I missed a few doses of meds and really felt it.  Your baby needs you to be feeling good, so take care of yourself.  I remember drinking a lot of water and getting up to walk around pretty frequently, which seemed to help.  I'm not 6 weeks pp and haven't really started working out yet, though I've been getting out for walks. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I had my baby in Germany and they don't do discharge instructions here. I am still sore if I try to use my abs to get out of bed and it's been 4.5 weeks. Walk a little for exercise but I would not do crunches. I get scared thinking about doing them in a few weeks!
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options

I to had a unplanned c/s.  DS was wedged way down below and his legs were in my ribs.  It took 4 people to get him out (2 on top and 2 down below).  He was in a bad position to be delivered naturally.

However, in regards to a c/s care.  My Dr said no exercise for 6-8 weeks, no driving a manual (stick shift) car for 4 weeks and take it easy.  I had my staples removed on the 25th but had DS on the 21st.  I was able to take a shower the end day after the c/s but was told to only pat the area and not to rub it.  I was also told to take it easy, but we know how that goes with a LO.  Big Smile 

Congrat's with the new baby.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND. The best thing you can do is REST. You will regret it if you don't. I felt fine a week after leaving the hospital and wanted to start walking but was warned not to. You will loose the "pooch" soon enough. You just made a baby, relax, 6 weeks isnt that long. Enjoy your time with baby!
  • Options

I did too much...too fast.

I was walking all over 3 days after ds was born, doing laundry, etc and went back to school 2 weeks later.

Needless to say, I got an infection about 2 weeks after.  It was horrible, caused a lot of scarring and had to have surgery to release adhesions from my c-section.  My uterus had attached to my bladder and abdomen.  My right tube was completely blocked and scarred from the c-section infection.

Anyway....take it easy.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"