Preemies
Options

Twins will be born by 35 weeks

Hi Ladies,

I hope you don't mind me posting over here and asking a few questions. I am currently pregnant with fraternal (di-di) twins. I had an U/S yesterday that determined that my babies aren't growing well (girl -5th percentile, boy-12th percentile). My high risk doc wants me to get to 28 weeks at least. I will have another u/s and doppler study (first) in less than two weeks. Should be getting steroid shots also soon. Currently, I am suffering from a heart function on the low normal range and also have a prior lung condition from radiation treatments (basically they are calling it a cardiopulmonary issue) for cancer at 23. My babies currently weigh 1lb 7oz (girl), and 1lb 9oz (boy). My doctor says at most 35 weeks no later for delivery. I am so scared for these two! I know they are weighing keeping them in vs delivering in the next few weeks. I know I need more info (doppler studies). It looks like they started to have issues after about 23 weeks so it hasn't been long.

I do know a little about NICU hospital stays as my sister was a 28 weeker, 21 years ago (she is perfect btw). I guess I just want to hear from others with babies who have had IUGR and if I should be "asking" or doing anything at this point or just wait two weeks and hopefully things will be the same or better (just buying them time in the womb and hopefully some growth). Besides this my kids are healthy (no genetic/chromosonal issues).

I'm blaming myself at this point, I'm sad that my body is probably "hurting" my LO's, all I can do is rest and eat high protein/calcium at this point and pray... 

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Twins will be born by 35 weeks

• Options

Things are hectic today so forgive my short response - especially since today must be a lot different than you'd imagined. Please take comfort in the blog all of us have put together - it can be found in my siggy.

Every single day in the oven counts so much!

• Options
    Sorry you are having such a hard time.  My daughter was a 30 weeker but was about the size of a 28 weeker due to iugr from pre-e/hellp.  We didn't know prior to delivery that she was iugr because my hellp came on so suddenly.  So i can't give you any advice on what to do now.  Have they given you the steroid shots for lung development?  I would ask about that since they are so helpful for reducing respiratory issues when they are born.  I recognized your siggy from the Boston board and remember you are delivering at The Brigham.  DD was at the Brigham for 69 days and we had a wonderful experience there pm me if you need any specifics about the nicu there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we had a similar situation with our twins less the mommy trouble...my a baby was iugr begining at 27 weeks my b baby was expected to be a whole lb more. i was able to carry them to 31 weeks before baby a had very minimal fluid and started to show signs that he was done with the whole situation.  the boys will be 3 weeks on tuesday and with the excpetion of mild respiratory distress in baby b we are feeding and growing.  i had steroids at 27 and 30 weeks which i am sure helped.  good luck, i am sure they will do just fine.  merry christmas
    santasmall Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    there is a lot in there to respond to but I just wanted to say that while you feel that your body is failing them, your body is what has given them life.  While you do have health issues, the doppler studies will show how well blood is moving through their cords...which shows how well the cords and placentas are functioning.  So please know, that it may not be just YOUR issues, but could be other factors that are out of anyone's control.  Just keep getting through each day, give your body everything that you feel it needs, and know that while they may be small but they are children that would not have existed without you.  You are a wonderful mom for caring so much for them and wanting them to be the healthiest they can be.  You will do everything that you can do while they are still inside, and then you will be there to care for them once they show that they need to come out.  Either way, you will always be giving them all of your love and everything that you have.  Wishing you the best...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My guy had IUGR.  The guilt when you have an IUGR baby is pretty brutal.  I also had a partial placental abruption.  Mine was caused by a clotting disorder I didn't know I had.  He was born at 2lb3oz (31w3d).  He was in the hospital for 41days.  

You sound like you are doing as much as you possibly can.  I know it is hell waiting, but you are doing everything you can.  Hang in there and don't hesitate to come back.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    imagesnoangel79:

Hi Ladies,

I hope you don't mind me posting over here and asking a few questions. I am currently pregnant with fraternal (di-di) twins. I had an U/S yesterday that determined that my babies aren't growing well (girl -5th percentile, boy-12th percentile). My high risk doc wants me to get to 28 weeks at least. I will have another u/s and doppler study (first) in less than two weeks. Should be getting steroid shots also soon. Currently, I am suffering from a heart function on the low normal range and also have a prior lung condition from radiation treatments (basically they are calling it a cardiopulmonary issue) for cancer at 23. My babies currently weigh 1lb 7oz (girl), and 1lb 9oz (boy). My doctor says at most 35 weeks no later for delivery. I am so scared for these two! I know they are weighing keeping them in vs delivering in the next few weeks. I know I need more info (doppler studies). It looks like they started to have issues after about 23 weeks so it hasn't been long.

I do know a little about NICU hospital stays as my sister was a 28 weeker, 21 years ago (she is perfect btw). I guess I just want to hear from others with babies who have had IUGR and if I should be "asking" or doing anything at this point or just wait two weeks and hopefully things will be the same or better (just buying them time in the womb and hopefully some growth). Besides this my kids are healthy (no genetic/chromosonal issues).

I'm blaming myself at this point, I'm sad that my body is probably "hurting" my LO's, all I can do is rest and eat high protein/calcium at this point and pray... 

I don't have any advice as my twins didn't have IUGR, but please do not blame yourself.  I know it's easier said than done, but all I can offer are some internet hugs.  {{hugs}}

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Our girls were delivered at 35w due to IUGR in baby A. They were a bit small but close in size at 30 w, then at their next growth scan (34w), they had over a 30% discordance. The doppler on A's cord the last few U/S before was marginal too so she was already being watched.

DW got steroids at 34w (4 and 2 days before delivery) which I think really helped. They were 3 lbs 8 oz and 5 lbs and neither needing breathing assistance. Baby A had  a 17 day stay as a feeder grower, and B came right home. They're both just fine. B is on track for actual age, maybe on the later end, and A is somewhere between her adjusted age and "size'" age (a totally unofficial term, but she's developing more like a 31/32 weeker in terms of milestones).

Best of luck to you. Don't blame yourself - you're doing all the right things by seeing your docs, eating right, resting and thinking of what is best for the babies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"