Breastfeeding
Options

Help! Medela Hand Pump problem

I love my Medela hand pump.  The last few days it has been losing suction.  I cannot figure out what is wrong with it.  Does anyone have any ideas that I can try to get it working right again. 

Re: Help! Medela Hand Pump problem

• Options
    Have you tried replacing the little white membrane?
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options
    I just thought about that this morning.  I'll give it a try.  Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not the white membrane.  Still not working.  Any other advice?
  • Options
    Hmm. Is the flexible plastic part that expands/contracts when you pump the handle still in good shape? Not sure if that could develop a small tear or something. You could also call Medela customer service for trouble shooting help. Heck, they'd probably send you a new one!
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • Options

mine does this some time...

I take it a part and make sure that the yellow part under the gasket is line up correctly, then make sure the gasket fits right into the raised groove on the handle.... does that make sense? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    Try pushing down on the handle to be sure it's totally in all the way.
    imageimageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Breastfeeding and pregnant!
  • Options
    I have this issue too.  I've reasembled, changed membranes everything and no suction.  It's my backup for my electric pump so I haven't done anything about it but I would call C/S I hear they are great.  If you get it fixed let us know how I want my pump to work again but since it's a backup I'm not going to buy another one to replace it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I get this issue. The problem is in the hand pump part. (remove the silicone section off the handle, and you are left with a silicone part and a yellow piece that goes though it. It's these 2 pieces that are the problem) The hard plastic part, and the silicone part have rotated on each other causing the seal to break when it isn't pumped lined up. Just rotate the plastic part so that it lines up again with the silicone part. There are small groves on either side of the skinny post that tell you when it's lined up.

Hopefully that explanation made sense lol!

Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• Options
    imageVespah:

I get this issue. The problem is in the hand pump part. (remove the silicone section off the handle, and you are left with a silicone part and a yellow piece that goes though it. It's these 2 pieces that are the problem) The hard plastic part, and the silicone part have rotated on each other causing the seal to break when it isn't pumped lined up. Just rotate the plastic part so that it lines up again with the silicone part. There are small groves on either side of the skinny post that tell you when it's lined up.

this! and also when you take the silicone part off the handle piece... wipe away any moisture...

• Options
    imagemichpedelle85:
    imageVespah:

this! and also when you take the silicone part off the handle piece... wipe away any moisture...

Yup! I kept having this problem so I stopped washing the handle unless I saw milk on it. That helped a lot. 

• Options
    This was exactly my problem! So helpful. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"