Preemies
Options

Grunty McGrunterson

Hi Ladies!

DS is so grunty in his sleep...it is worse at night.  He is still sleeping in our room in a bassinet next to the bed.  I am not ready to put him in the nursery yet, but his incessant grunting is making sleep tough.  My understanding is that grunting is pretty common preemie thing, but I am wonderg when it will slow down.  Also, did anyone find it to be more than just a preemie thing and a symptom of something?  He seems so uncomfortable, but he is always sound asleep.

Also, at whet point would you determine LO was grunting and fussing because he/she was hungry vs just grunting to grunt?

Thanks!

ETA last question

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Grunty McGrunterson

• Options

I've been wondering this too. Is it really just a preemie thing or is it just a general baby thing? C seems like she is uncomfortable and I'm constantly getting up to check on her. It's just weird because she doesn't do it when she sleeps during the day.

I worry it's a reflux thing because she is flat on her back. We have her PNP on an incline but she still spits up a ton when she's sleeping in it. I'm getting a RNP today to see if that helps.

Born at 26 weeks 2 days gestation, 2 pounds 2 ounces due to IC/PTL,
    and after 82 days in the NICU, our little girl is home!
    Untitled Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image image image
  • Options

Our LO does it A LOT as well!  Much more so if not exclusively at night.. I think hers is gas... and it is accompanied with an outcry much of the time.. the only time she doesnt usually cry out is if I put a paci in her mouth.. which she keeps in (FINALLY) pretty well until she is really asleep.. then it falls out.. at which point she grunts herself into a frenzy, outcrys and I wake up and put it back in.  I am finding that she is an ok sleeper EXCEPT for this! She is in a co-sleeper which we have put her mattress at in incline due to her spit up issue which is in between us because when she is in RnP (which she loves during the day) she wont sleep and I am getting up every 5-10mins for the paci.  I am not sure what to do.. it is causing me to lose almost 3hrs of sleep because she does it almost constantly from 4-7am (she tends to get up then to eat) 

I will say the RnP was a big help for sleeping until recently.. the co-sleeper is really great too for us.  We are not big into the co-sleeping.. but it is very helpful for us to be able to get ANY sleep.  She does better even if my hand is on her chest while she sleepts.. it comforts her.  

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Proud Preemie Momma & Lovin my little girlie! :)http://thislovelyhome.com ~ all about being a mom and home design http://staceyilysephotography.com ~ my photography
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It is very common with preemies. There's even an FAQ about on the preemie resource blog:    

https://preemiemomblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/faq-preemie-noisesgrunts.html

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imagecutcopypaste:
    I'm getting a RNP today to see if that helps.

We also caved and purchased the rock n play today.  We had a horrible night last night with E's reflux :( I've also switched her formula, since I suspect dairy is playing a role in her fussiness/grunting/etc.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

We had a Sony CD alarm clock, and I played baby lullabies at night so that I could get some sleep.  I always looked at the grunting as a good thing, because I knew he was alive and breathing.  We still use Homedics Sound Spa Lullaby Relaxation Machine with baby lullabies and natural sounds like rain or ocean.  It helps both of us to get to bed.  

ttp://www.target.com/p/Homedics-Sound-Spa-Lullaby-Relaxation-Machine/-/A-10707864 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options

I didn't get a chance to read all the comments but I scanned - yes, this can be a sign of reflux. The grunts are normal (for FT babies, too, but preemies go through a longer gestational/NB phase - lots of grunts!!) - but if they are accompanied by arching backs or squeals of discomfort make an appt with your pedi.

Otherwise they fade after a couple months actual and you will miss them :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"