Preemies
Options

Curious...Input? Kind of long. Sorry!

Hello.  I'm mostly a lurker here.  My DD was born July 26 at 34w5d.  She was 4lb15oz.  We've been blessed with a perfectly healthy preemie.  My premature labor wasn't expected-it was a complete surprise.  I was warned by my doctor that I am at risk to deliver a 2nd baby premature but we would discuss that more when I was ready.  DD is almost 5 months and I'm not ready but I am thinking ;)  I am truly scared to try to bring another life into this world knowing the risk.  What if next time we aren't so lucky?!  Anyways, my question is, during my pregnancy I had an abnormal pap.  DR followed up with it at my 6 week PP appt and I ended up needing a biopsy which concluded that I have precancerous cells on my cervix. (HGSIL)  I have been through this once before, about 6 years ago.  Except the first time it was LGSIL (low-grade vs high-grade).  I had the cryo in the past (freezing) which I was told would not affect my ability to have children or carry to term.  Now I have to have a more evasive procedure-it was the LEEP vs the cone biopsy.  I chose the cone so I would be asleep and not feel any pain/cramping.  I have asked my doctor if she thinks my past procedure had a play in my premature delivery and she won't give me a definite answer but she doesn't think so.  I won't NOT do this procedure.  I have to do it to prevent cancer but I am thinking of my future.  Do any of you ladies have any experience with this?  Have any of you had one of these procedures prior to a pregnancy?  I would appreciate some input.  TIA.
~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
imageimage

Re: Curious...Input? Kind of long. Sorry!

• Options
    I work in an OB/GYN office as a nurse. Any time you have a portion of your cervix removed, which is what they do with LEEPs and Cone biopsies, it can increase your risk of pre-term birth because of imcompetent cervix. Did they determine that you delivered pre-term due to that before? I would definitely discuss it further with your doctor. They may just do a little less invasive procedure until after you are delivered. You just have to weigh the risks vs. benefits. Maybe talk to a high risk OB? It doesn't ALWAYS mean you will deliver pre-term but if you had that issue already, then it is probably more likely. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've had HG cells before too and ended up with 2 leeps before I started TTC.  Because of those, we had bi-weekly ultrasounds from 12 weeks-25 weeks to make sure my cervix wasn't shortening. 

I did have PTL but it wasn't due to the cervix.  I had PIH, GD and IUGR so those are the main reasons she was born at 35 1/2 weeks (she came on her own though, no induction)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had a LEEP 11years ago. My cervical legnths were monitored and were great. Even when I was in PTL my cervix was long so they don't think incompetent cervix lead to my delivery. I guess you truly never know... I think having a second baby after a preemie is just going to have to be a leap of faith.
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • Options

About 10 years ago I had the LEEP procedure followed by cryo freezing shortly after.  My doctors checked my cervical length a couple of times while I was pregnant and it was shortening a bit towards the end but nothing too serious.  I did have my baby 5 1/2 weeks early but that wasn't attributed to the cervical procedures (it was PPROM for unkown reasons)

Some women have cervical length issues while pregnant after these procedures but many don't. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you, ladies.  I am having the procedure done tomorrow.  Very nervous.  To have surgery, to know that I am at risk for another PTL, to have precancerous cells.  Blah.  I guess I will cross that road when I get there. 
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"