April 2011 Moms
Options

Gift for teachers at daycare

Wanted to get everyone else's opinion on this. Gavin's section of his daycare center has 5 main teachers, with 2 who are "assigned" to him, but all 5 really care for him each day, depending on who is working. The center had them each fill out a wish list that mentions what they like and dislike, like favorite Starbucks drink, favorite Jamba Juice smoothie, favorite color, favorite food, etc, so they parents had an idea of what to give them if they wished to give them a gift.

We considered just buying something for his main teachers at first, but that seemed unfair since all 5 have cared for him at some point. But now we are talking about buying 5 gifts, and with daycare costing $1,500 a month (almost equal to our rent), that is tough on our budget!

We ended up getting each one a $10 Starbucks or Jamba Juice giftcard, depending on their preferences, and put each one inside a card with a handwritten note saying thank you. That was better for our budget, but now after the fact, I feel like that isn't enough, considering they care for my baby all day, every day, Monday through Friday. The fact that they take such good care of him while I work makes me feel guilty that I should give more.

What did everyone else do? Am I over-thinking this and letting my emotions get too involved? Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Gift for teachers at daycare

• Options

I used to be an infant teacher and I can say that while the gifts/gift cards were appreciated it was the handwritten notes that meant the most to me.  I liked to hear from the parents that they were happy with the care I was providing. 

Now, I'm an integrated preschool teacher in the public schools and the same applies.  I love to get the family christmas card or handwritten note!  I also felt the guilt when it came to our provider and wanted to make sure she knew I appreciated all she did.  It sounds like you were generous and thoughtful.  Don't overthink and just let them know you love the care they provide your child. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I think you did just fine.

My daughter goes to a small in-home day care. There is one main teacher/care-provider and 2 part-time helpers.

I gave the main teacher a $25 gift certificate to a nail/hair salon and a $10 hand soap/hand lotion gift set. (Along with a card and a hand written note) She was over the mood excited.

For the 2 part-timers, I gave them each a hand soap/lotion gift set plus a tin of cookies and a hand-written note.

I wish I could have afforded more, but it didn't seem like they expected anything from their gracious reactions.

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Andrew goes to a small in-home daycare run by a couple. We gave them a $75 giftcard to one of their favorite restaurants with a Christmas card and handwritten note. That may have been a bit much, but I wasn't sure what the norm was as far as gifts.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would do a card and note and maybe a gift, $10 sounds wonderful. They get paid to watch your child they shouldn't expect anything however it would be a nice gesture some people just can't give gifts to randoms plus their family.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We use Z small in home, and pay $375. Week. We did $200 cash for the owner and $50 each for the two people who each work a fe hour ah day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"